Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 year old sheep knee problem  (Read 11620 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: 4 year old sheep knee problem
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2016, 08:50:35 am »
Out of interest, what area are you living in?

Did you explain how she seems to have a problem with her front legs?

Hopefully she will continue to improve now the lambs are gone but I can't help think that she lost the lambs due to being down so long....

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2016, 10:25:31 am »
It has been rather interesting to listen to this thread, I have spent about 20 mins reading it through. Personally I think my vet would tell me to put her down, however that is not necessarily the advice I am giving. You have done the best you can and I really hope that she makes it back to being healthy; One point however if she has been like this a long time why didn't her owners do something? It sounds to me like they shouldn't really be in charge of a sheep, especially a pregnant one, if they cannot look after her properly. You have done a sheer fantastic job with her and I congratulate you to getting this far with her, I know a lot of people would probably have given up by now, so I take my hat off to you and I hope that she gets better soon! All the best and well done! :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2016, 10:06:15 pm »
Sbom, I live in the Netherlands, in the north.

Thank you waterbuffalofarmer. It's basically what I do. Give them another chance. Sometimes it works out and sometimes I have to say goodbye but I always give it 200%.

Wietske, the ewe, is still going. She tries to get away when I want examine her feet or manhandle her which she didn't do before. She remains friendly though and loves it when I give her a good scratch. She had another shot of penicillin today and will get another on Tuesday(72 hour interval stuff). After that we'll have to see if she improves and otherwise...

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 10:17:07 pm »
I thought I would update you on the sheep.

I had her put down last Wednesday a she wasn't improving. Her left leg wouldn't stretch at all and her right was also at an angle. She was eating and bright and with our help she could go out from the shed the grass where she would happily be all day and shuffle around on her front knees but I had to think if this was a life that was right for her. If I had seen some improvement even only weekly I would have carried on, but her legs stayed the same.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2016, 08:53:47 am »
A difficult decision to make but sounds like the right one, well done

Coastie

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2016, 10:07:59 am »
Well done for all the effort you made for Wietske and for having the courage to let her go. It is never an easy decision to balance quality of life in chronic cases.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 12:01:57 pm »
Coaster puts it very well.  You tried very hard to help her, and in the end made the difficult decision in her best interests.   :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 12:34:30 pm »
Well done on a difficult decision. It's hard when you've fought for so long, but it sounds like she would never have been right.

FriesianLambs

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2016, 09:47:41 pm »
Thank you all :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS