Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vacuum Sealer for food  (Read 5328 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Vacuum Sealer for food
« on: February 11, 2016, 02:20:54 pm »
Very boring question.

I make dog treats for charity.  I make dry ones and jerky in the dehydrator because otherwise they would go off before they arrived.

I would like to try softer ones and am considering getting a food vacuum sealer.  I need these to stay non mouldy for about 7 to 10 days and am talking about stuff like liver treats....

I will be doing up to a hundred bags (they are one of 7 treats....) in a day and I do these about 3 times a year.

Can anyone recommend a vacuum sealer.  I don't want to spend too much money on this.

Many thanks

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Vacuum Sealer for food
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 03:09:47 pm »
*dusts post carefully and puts it in tea towel drawer*
*wanders off*
  :sheep: :spin: :knit:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 03:21:53 pm »
I've got an Andrew James vacuum sealer for vac packing my salami, air dried ham etc. It wasn't too expensive (£40 I think) and we think it does the job for our needs  :thumbsup:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 06:39:08 pm »
I've got an Andrew James vacuum sealer for vac packing my salami, air dried ham etc. It wasn't too expensive (£40 I think) and we think it does the job for our needs  :thumbsup:

Thats the one we have , has done sterling work , over 2 pigs ( after butchering ) chicken , my meds, ready meals for the freezer, important paperwork and making our own boil in the bag dinners.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:13:39 pm »
I have the Andrew James too. It's good but the rolls of bags are expensive and they don't go far
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 08:34:47 pm »
I bought one of those little Andrew James ones last year when my more commercial one broke and I needed one in a hurry, just to tide us over. I have hammered it relentlessly, packing bacon up to 100 odd packs one after the other and it never let us down. Very good value for money and works well with the embossed bags from weschenfelder which are more expensive than "proper" vac bags but cheaper than the stuff on a roll that comes with the machine.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 08:56:28 am »
I have an elderly one which I got from Lakeland Plastics.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:24:14 am »
I have an Andrew James too, it was about £100 and it has a max width of 40cm. I have found it to be ok, since getting it in Dec last year I have used it for two lambs and two pigs, so alot of meat.

However, I did notice when looking through the freezer that the seal has broken on some of the bags. And when I have been using it, although it has a setting for doing moist products, I feel like the it could get more air out of the bags if it was a better machine.

But, saying this, I am used to using a commercial machine at work which really does vac pack superbly, at the end of the day, a machine geared towards the home market is never going to produce the results you get from a commercial machine.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:20:02 pm »
We got an eiffel freshpack pro which was on offer and had good review, I used it to bag up 3 pigs worth of meat over a weekend and it worked really well.
________
Caroline

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 06:51:06 pm »
Have been following this with interest.
Never a boring question on TAS!  :thumbsup:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 06:54:24 pm »
I have the Eiffel one too and would definitely recommend it!
Anne

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 08:29:32 am »
We decided to pay more to buy a decent one so we got this machine from Weschenfelder a couple of years ago. It's an absolutely brilliant machine, easy to use and there haven't been any problems at all

http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/vacuum-packing-equipment/vac-pack-machines/takaje-vacuum-machine-10-off.html

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 02:58:49 pm »
We are on or third vac & heat sealer .. the tow dead ones were from Aldi and about £20  both tiumes . They were only good for sealing the lighter bags . you had to alow the heating wire to cool down for a good 80 seconds or it porduced  holes innthe seal area due to it getting too hot and melting the bags so much that the plastic flowed .

Both of them had new self adhesive non stick tapes over the heating wire ..  once the machine has got too hot for too long the strips lose their non sticky capabilities.

We tried all manner of bags froim the supermarkets .. none were really satisfactory

I bit the bullet and purchased 10 heat seal vac pack bags from Weschenfelder's they ran at about 13 p each .. These much heavier bags have an embossed pattern on one side of he bags which allows air to be extracted much better than the flat  bags.

This last time  round we purchased the bags in 500's as started to get sensibly cheaper .
Because the bags are a much thicker plastic they stand up to a lot more abrasion and abuse . They are also great innthe freezer  buty a bugger to seal up if you have left them open and frozen the contents fiurst so you don't such juices up into your machine.
 There is a way of doing it  , you carefully fold the top 1& 3/4 inches over to one side and place the bags to be frozen up right in a carboard box so they stand up right.  Lightly pack it with foam to stop them falling over .

After the last machine died we coughed up about £180 for a bit heavier duty cycle one  , it is an upright machine which  has a few plus'es going for it such as you being able to lay a bag on the table top  when sealing it . There is also a variable vacuum setting & timer device .
It's called a , " Food saver V 6840 " and it does not do thin flimsy bags at all .. this one gets used a minimum of a dozen or so times a week ,, still needs a 30 second pause to let the heater tape cool but other wise we can't sing its praises enough .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 04:56:36 pm »
We used to have one of the Takaje ones from Weschenfelder. Unfortunately the seals go on them eventually and you can't get spares for them. 0/10 for Weschenfelders on that.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:15 pm »
Why not try on Ebay? they sometimes have really good ones for sale at low prices.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS