Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sarcoids  (Read 5575 times)

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
Sarcoids
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »
Hi

Has anyone on here had experience with sarcoids?

Vet has been to take pictures today and has said he can send to Liverpool for inspection. But it could also be banded. It is only a very small one on his armpit.
He is insured.

Very unsure about what to do. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks  ???

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sarcoids
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:22 pm »
My Highland, who I bought in 2002 as a five year old, developed three sarcoids just after I bought him; two inside his near fore leg and one inside his near hind. They were quite small.

On my vet's advice, we got the "stuff" from Liverpool. It was applied three times I think. Smokey was sedated the second two times (he bit the vet hard on the buttock as he bent over to apply the "stuff" inside Smokey's back leg ie bit and didn't let go  :o ).

Never had any problem since.

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:10:41 pm »
Thank you.

I'm tempted to go down that line. I've heard of so many problems with banding. I would rather use the 'stuff'. I have a feeling he might need to be sedated. Biting bottoms sounds like something he would do!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:10:07 am »
In the last 25 years or so I've had one surgically removed from a pony armpit due to location, had one banded on a sheath and left another be inside a hind leg where not in the way.  Never gone the Liverpool route so no experience of that tho someone else had bad time with it so I'm not inclined to try.  Of my 3 stories all ended well and no vets were damaged in the process.

Given a suitable position I would band first choice, if it needed it, and leave alone if feasible.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:05 am »
If they are not rubbing or causing a problem I would leave alone as failed removal attempts causes them to grow.  I have had several that have either been slow growing or just dropped off on their own.  I also had to have a brood mare put down when one developed on her pastern after an injury.  The foal kept knocking it when feeding and although liverpool cream was tried if failed to kill it completely and grew back a lot worse.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 09:00:08 am »
Peoples experiences will always differ and some treatments will be successful for some and not for others. So asking advice from lots of people doesn't always give you a straightforward answer.

What do you do with your pony and how old is he? Your vet has seen it and presumably you mean he is sending pictures to Liverpool so you should get a better idea of what to do after the advice comes back.

I have only ever had one horse with one. Grew very quickly and aggressively on his sheath. Removal recommended but it dropped off over night when we were deciding what to do. He never got another.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:12:36 pm »
 A very effective and cheap method of getting rid of warts is copper sulphate. Just apply as thick a coating as you can get to stick (it's the blue stuff) and reapply as necessary.

Here's a photo of before and after treatment of warts on a highland cow.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:14:46 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 02:15:53 pm »
Lots and lots of differences of opinions. Quite a few people I have spoken to have said banding, but I am worried about it failing.

He is ridden, probably 5 days a week. Varies from hacking to flatwork and local shows. No showing. He is 7 years old.

Call me mad but I am trying tumeric applied on it and giving it to him in his feed. I have put hold on sending pictures to Liverpool until I have decided 100% what I want to do.

Thank you.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 03:11:31 pm »
 Turmeric is excellent and has many unusual benefits.
 So - as you're obviously into natural cures - it might be worth trying homeopathy. I originally posted the copper sulphate method because I had pics of it. But when my cob pony got a sarcoid near his eye I used a homeopathic remedy for a few months. Then it seemed to be getting bigger so I lost my faith in homeopathy and called the vet in. He prescribed Blood Ointment (at £50 a jar) but I held off using it for a few days as it's caustic and I wasn't happy applying it near his eye. In those few days, the sarcoid dropped off! And a couple of small ones on his sheath disappeared as well. And I got my money back on the unused jar of ointment.
Rules are made:

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 10:42:25 pm »
Oh, I've heard of copper sulphate being used for other things, but not sarcoids.
I will stick with the tumeric  (if I can get the paste consistency right!) for a month and see progress, then look at copper sulphate and other homeopathy treatments.

Thanks everyone. I'm not one for calling the vet at first sight of a problem but this I did as I was slightly concerned. Think I have learnt to look at more natural ways before just going along with what the vet says.
Fingers crossed it drops off!!

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 08:20:20 am »
One of mine had a small lump that might or might not have been a sarcoid.  When it started to grow and cause problems (it was on a shoulder and got rubbed if he had to have a rug on), I thought I'd try manuka honey before anything more aggressive.  Gone in two months, but it didn't quite happen the way I expected - it went crusty, bled a tiny bit when the scab came off, rinse and repeat several times, but every time the scab dropped off it got smaller and now you wouldn't know it had ever been there.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:32 am »
As you've read up about Turmeric EA-SN - you probably know this - but thought I'd mention it anyway.
 Turmeric is 100 or so times more effective if mixed with black pepper. It sort of activates it somehow.
Rules are made:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 11:05:57 pm »
I've used marigold tincture on my dogs with similar small growths. They fell off after a few weeks. Worth a go. Neales Remedy Yard

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 11:41:58 pm »
We've had 2 ponies with sarcoids and used bloodroot cream on them both with great success. It isn't as nasty as Liverpool cream and is a fraction of the cost, especially as you can apply it yourself.  You can get it on Ebay. It is a bit caustic, so needs to be used with care, but it doesn't seem to be unduly painful to the pony, unlike Liverpool cream, from what I hear.

Funnily enough, I was reading about using copper sulphate on sarcoids just a few days ago. Some people swear by it, it seems!

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 12:24:53 am »
My home bred two year old had one between his front legs. Treatment with Liverpool cream was about £450, and it fell off. He wasn't bothered about the treatment but he is a bit thick.
  I would leave it alone until it becomes a problem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS