Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 alpacas wanted for chicken and lamb protection...and cuddles...Perth,Scotland  (Read 14150 times)

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
Hello everyone,

As it happens to smallholder families - just as we decided that we had 'enough' animals to look after our mind got changed after a fox visit. Apart from the chickens (who do get locked up, btw, but working hours and Scottish daylight don't always go hand in hand...) We are also worried about the lambs which are due in April (only got 3 rare breeds but are really attached to the girls).

I have done some research (but actually I always liked the idea of having alpacas  ;D) and we do have space for a couple of boys (I guess those are the ones who guard?). Could anyone help out? We are based near Perth.

We have enough space but there are a few things which I wanted to check first:

1. do they jump fences?
2 do they headbutt?
3. can we please have a couple of placid and docile ones (not bothered about their age really as long as they are healthy and 'non-temperamental')

We had rams and billy goats before and they almost made me give up my vegetarian lifestyle  - with all they rowdiness and damage they ended up causing  :rant:. We do have children who are responsible and used to being around animals so I am keen for some friendly new members of the household.

I have spoken to a lady who does alpaca trekking but she needs all of hers. An alternative would be, which I am happy to try, to hire them for a season and see how this works? How much would it be for a couple (buying and or hiring?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I noticed that forum isn't as active as some of the other ones but fingers crossed we can get this sorted before April  :eyelashes:

Thanks ,
Chrissie.  :wave:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Hi Chrissie, There's a place near Balfron that has Alpacas, and I'm sure they'd be able to point you in the right direction.  I can't find any details online, but some further searching on the names in this article should get you some useful contacts  :thumbsup:.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
Thanks Womble  :)

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
I know of someone with llamas but they may no of alpacas there Scottish border areas tho if its any help

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
Great - could you message me their details please or ask them?
Thanks

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Not spoken to her in a while but if you look up feufield farm she's near biggar her names Kim she's so easy to talk to am sure she would be able to help no idea if llamas are as useful as alpacas but I do know she knows a breeder of them  if she was to ask just say Adam that knows Rob said she may know of someone am sure she won't mind let me know how you  get on

Just noticed the sites down but she can be found on Facebook under feufield farm her names Kim Adams
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:59:24 am by adamhfc »

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
These folks are in carnoustie and I know they have sold alpacas in the past

http://www.alpacaloft.co.uk
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Hi chrissie!  How are you? Are you free any days for a meet up? - going to be in Perth friday am?

There's a guy in Tealing, just to the north of Dundee has has alpacas. He has a Facebook page and bit of website. It's called Balnuith.  x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
These folks are in carnoustie and I know they have sold alpacas in the past

http://www.alpacaloft.co.uk

Moved to Lincolnshire  :eyelashes:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
Hi Chrissie, There's a place near Balfron that has Alpacas, and I'm sure they'd be able to point you in the right direction.  I can't find any details online, but some further searching on the names in this article should get you some useful contacts  :thumbsup: .

Sold up. Wife died, I think, and hubby sold up. Sorry.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
Chrissie, try Pauline Robson. She's the Secretary of the Scottish Alpaca Group. I'm sure she woudl be able to help.

pauline@westyettalpacas.co.uk

Chrissie

• Joined Feb 2013
Thanks guys for all the feedback - I have made some enquiries and turns out they are rather expensive....so not sure if we can afford two? I am also inquiring along the lines of getting a donkey as a guard animal - has anyone got any experience with that? there seem to be lots that need rehoming. I hoped that alpacas also need rehoming but it looks like the demand outstripes the supply....if we were to get a donkey I feel we would also be really helping animals in need - though alpacas are dead cute and are definately not off the list.....

sigh....decisions, decisions... :thinking:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Just out of interest Chrissie, how rather expensive?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
A friend of mine has alpacas and she says they are not very friendly - curious, but have big personal spaces and aren't tactile. This might just be hers, of course. She also told me that they don't groom each other and the females don't lick their newborns either, just leave them to dry off naturally. So maybe non-tactile is an species issue.

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Donkeys are OK but need shelter as not water proof like horses av seen alpacas going for  as low as £150 each for males

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS