Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very noisy 2 week old lamb, is he still hungry? Advice please.  (Read 12691 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Very noisy 2 week old lamb, is he still hungry? Advice please.
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 08:49:11 pm »
Why can't you eat him after raising him?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 01:35:20 am »
I don't eat lamb any more, just cant bring myself to.

Jaq Bee

• Joined May 2015
  • Czech Republic
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 10:23:00 am »
Just the thought of eating him after bottle raising him turns my stomach. I wouldn't have a problem if his mother had raised him. You can't buy lamb in the butchers here so I won't have a problem selling the meat. Or selling him for meat. But, at this point I can't even think about sending him to freezer camp for me.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 10:26:38 am »
While I'm still looking after 'my babies', I couldn't think of that, either.  But then, when I have them weaned and established on grass and cake, they go off and join the other lambies as they get speaned.  BH looks after them then, and by the time they have to go, I can no longer remember who is which - and in fact am more keen that they fetch a good price in the ring so I can disprove BH's oft-repeated saying, "Pets never amount to much".  (Which I do every year, and he keeps saying it anyway  :rant:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 11:56:36 am »
Some of ours still know they're name, still bother me for cuddles and a scratch and one even still does the milky nudge when she sees me, they're independent and bold but they still love they're mama  :love:  And are great mums x

Jaq Bee

• Joined May 2015
  • Czech Republic
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:50 pm »
I only have a very small 'flock' and I know all their names and they all run to me, even the non bottles babies. I am still pretty much a novice keeper. Started just over 3 years ago with two 4 month old ewes. Brought a ram when they were almost two, he didn't do the job so ate him. Brought my Zwartbles ram and he gave me 5 ewes from my two ewes last year. This year one ewe had triplets, one stillborn and the other the 'milk monsters'. Three ewes, one ram.
My Zwartbles was the sweetest boy but suddenly took to ramming me and anything else he could (he had turned two years). He went to freezer camp before Xmas. My Merino ewe had rejected two sets of twins but was a high milk producer and had wonderful wool so I sold her a few days after the babies were born to someone who makes cheese and utilizes the wool.
So I have one threeish year old ewe with twins, the milk monsters and 5 ewes from last year.
Maybe I will change my mind in time, who knows.  :thinking:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »
We currently have 110 in lamb, six Molly lambs who rule the roost, a cull group, twelve ram lambs that are slowly going off to mart, one exquisite lleyn ram and his retired companion, and two other rams who Pootle around the campfield they're off to mart soon.  We are year six lambing.  Thats without the 18 welsh ponies and cobs, Will never stop learning.

Jaq Bee

• Joined May 2015
  • Czech Republic
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 04:38:08 pm »
Wow Hellybee !! That's a lot of work.
Guess what? They are finally nibbling on hay and eating creep :) :) :) We are getting there :)
I just want to thank all of you for your support and advice. You got me through a very tiring & stressful time.   :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 06:34:59 pm »
While I'm still looking after 'my babies', I couldn't think of that, either.  But then, when I have them weaned and established on grass and cake, they go off and join the other lambies as they get speaned.  BH looks after them then, and by the time they have to go, I can no longer remember who is which - and in fact am more keen that they fetch a good price in the ring so I can disprove BH's oft-repeated saying, "Pets never amount to much".  (Which I do every year, and he keeps saying it anyway  :rant:)
I quite agree sallyinthenorth  I do have a strong attachment with them, but I tell myself that in the end they either go to mart or slaughter and when the time comes they're no longer as friendly as they where, due to being with the flock all summer, so it does make it easier. Sometimes the pet ewe lambs make the best mothers. I currently have a pet ewe which is about to lamb for the second time :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS