Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grassland weeds  (Read 2637 times)

sheep lady

• Joined Jan 2016
Grassland weeds
« on: January 28, 2016, 10:18:45 pm »
We have just purchased 4 acres of grazing land and hope to graze some sheep from Spring.  However, we're keen to get the land in the best possible shape before then - grateful to know the most effective way to eradicate/significantly reduce the number of soft rushes and tall brown stick like weeds (picture attached, sorry don't know what these are).  Many thanks.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Grassland weeds
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 10:13:59 am »
The tall stuff is probably the flowering stalks from dock.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 11:25:03 am »
Feet treading over small rushes is as good as anything at giving them a headache.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 12:50:14 pm »
I can recommend a flock of Shetland sheep for the docks, my girls cleared one of my fields in one season and I've never had a problem since.  The rushes are only eaten a bit and soon come back, but I'm lucky and don't have much of a problem.  You might be able to rent out if you've got good fencing in place.

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 06:33:45 pm »
the most effective and rapid solution is to get it sprayed with doxstar or headland staff 500
ask at your nearest farming neighbours for the contact details of the local spraying contractor
hopefully, your field gate is a decent width to get the machine in

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 07:33:21 pm »
Hi Sharonmcb, you can get info online I expect but also sheep breed societies might have grazing management info which may help get your lot in tip top condition and let you know the good and bad solutions you can use on it with livestock in mind.  A local sheep farmer may be able to help too.

4 acres.  Nice.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:33:07 am »
If you keep a few docks and let them seed the goldfinches will love them. I had a flock of over a hundred last year feeding on seeding docks and thistles, a lovely sight!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS