Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Hay  (Read 2145 times)

JackandJill

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Aberareon, Ceredigion
Old Hay
« on: January 30, 2016, 02:11:50 pm »
Hi,
We have recently bought our smallholding all very excited, not expecting any animals for a while as the house needs so much work!

However, with the purchase came a dutch barn quarter full of hay.  Its been there for at least 3 years perhaps 5.  I'm guessing the rats have made it home too.  Is it any use, if not what can I do with it or to get rid of it?

thanks for any advice

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Old Hay
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 02:56:52 pm »
Take it to a corner of a field, take the strings off and, if possible throw a load of manure on top then leave it for six months. Then spread it on your garden or land. I'm envious!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 05:29:32 pm »
If you have an area you plan to plant a vegetable garden spread it in an even layer and it'll suppress weed growth this Spring.  The worms will probably work it down into the soil over the next couple of months.  Ifyou have a vegetable garden already and the paths are soil, spreading thickly it along the paths will also keep them weed free for a year or so. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:50:15 am »
It may be perfectly usable - we fed ours and three neighbours' sheep on 4-year old hay one winter.  Get someone who knows about hay - preferably who has sheep, ponies or cattle - to have a look at it.  They may take it off your hands; they may even pay you something for it!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 06:17:35 pm »
the hay may well be ok, if so then keep it, your never know we may get a dreadful summer where you cant make hay and you wil be grateful for the hay you've got

JackandJill

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Aberareon, Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 12:24:15 pm »
thanks everyone, really helpful advice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS