Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scanner's been  (Read 9679 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Scanner's been
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 02:58:45 pm »
Whilst at that speed they might get mixed up between twins and trips, surely they'll still be pretty accurate when it comes to empties?   :-\  If not, they'd be pretty unpopular with the farmers and abbatoirs wouldn't they?

I agree wothWomble. Our last ewe is due 2nd May so tupped about 6th December. She's got trips. Our scanner is quick and is never wrong. Sorry  :(

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:10 pm »
I'd make that about 63-70 days in lamb, perfect timing for scanner to be most accurate. Having worked on multiple large farms, I've only ever seen an accuracy of around 99%, and mostly that is missing a lamb (ie quads scanned and called triplets, or triplets scanned and called twins, very rare to see twins where the scanner has missed one, I've even seen them mark down one live and one dead twin at scanning).
It's possible, but if your ram was taken out shortly after you saw them covered (ie they couldn't have been covered within a month of being scanned) I'd trust the scanner was correct.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 07:47:27 pm »
Oh well, just wishful thinking I suppose. I've never had my ewes scanned before and the child was wildly excited and hopeful. We'll have to keep them a bit skinnier next year!
Thanks all.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:30 pm »
I hope I don't regret saying this, but we've been using our scanner since 2004, and he hasn't had one wrong yet, from around 1100. On the odd occasion if something has been tupped earlier, he'll say at least... but for ewes being scanned at the correct time, no errors yet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS