Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scanner's been  (Read 9718 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Scanner's been
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 08:52:01 am »
Sounds great, Rosemary - do you know what their conformation was?  (R3L etc)

No. They were fat though  ;D And very tasty :yum:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 10:27:59 am »
So 20kg with 6kg of fat then? ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 11:46:20 am »
So 20kg with 6kg of fat then? ;)

23 and 3 - fat's light  :)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 11:50:41 am »
I used to get mainly 3s and 4s with Zwartbles. I don't have them any more!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 09:57:00 pm »
My Zwartbles scanned last year at 220% but we ended up with 200%, not lambing this year as I didn't get my tup lambs away until this week so haven't been able to rest a field for lambing. At the moment we have no grass so feeding tons of hay so quite happy to be having a break!
Anne

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 05:02:35 pm »
Scanner came today and out of 16 ewes 7 singles and 9 empty. including my grandson's 3 Jacobs. We are disappointed to say the least. That was despite borrowing a ram as we thought the original wasn't working!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 05:14:24 pm »
Had mine done on Saturday - 10 ewes: eight twins, two singles (one of those will be for the chop this year as this'll be her third year of having only singles, grr), and 4 ewe-lambs: one twin, three singles, so that's ok.  Shame the ewe-lambs are due a week later than the ewes otherwise I could have adopted the ewe-lamb twin onto one of the single ewes. Ho hum.
No trips thankfully :) .  These are BWM lambing outdoors.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 07:55:56 pm »
Scanner came today and out of 16 ewes 7 singles and 9 empty. including my grandson's 3 Jacobs. We are disappointed to say the least. That was despite borrowing a ram as we thought the original wasn't working!

That is disappointing. Were they all served?

My chum has eight ewes and the tup only served five (including one twice) so it's not loking great for him either.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 09:38:43 am »
They all had red bums so we had high hopes. I think they were too fat after the summer. My grandson who has autism was so upset as someone suggested the empty ones go to the butcher. His Jacobs had cracking lambs to a Texel last year so are safe, we're past looking at profit!
Now, as Charlie has customers lined up for lamb we will have to buy in weaned lambs.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:15 am »
Our percentage is low, we scanned 118 ewes, 8 empty.   80 odd singles, 28 twins.  117 %  Half the flock first timers, looking forward to it, but I expect some nutters  :innocent:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 02:18:05 pm »
The ram went in with a couple of my ewes in September, to give him a bit of company, they should be lambing between feb and march; One of them looks close now and i know for a fact the other one will probably not start until march because I saw him mate her in Oct. Happy days, weirdly i can't wait till lambing :excited: ::) there will be a lot of first lambers this year, because i had to reduce flock numbers, down from 90 to 65, mostly ram lambs and old ewes.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »
Soooo can't wait till lambing - and have to wait till second half of April.....
We have the scanner coming tomorrow, and I've very high hopes (after last year's hopelessness), and am desperate not to be as disappointed as some of you...  100% will do me fine!  Fingers, toes and hooves all crossed....

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 02:02:04 pm »

Been thinking about this. The ewes weren't covered until the very end of November and the scanner took about 4 seconds per sheep (mine were among about 1,500 of my neighbours ewes) so I am going to wait until May before I give up. What do you think?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 02:38:46 pm »

Been thinking about this. The ewes weren't covered until the very end of November and the scanner took about 4 seconds per sheep (mine were among about 1,500 of my neighbours ewes) so I am going to wait until May before I give up. What do you think?

Some of mine weren't covered until the end of November but they have scanned in lamb. I thought after a month the scanner could tell. Could you run them through again in a month?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 02:43:16 pm »
Whilst at that speed they might get mixed up between twins and trips, surely they'll still be pretty accurate when it comes to empties?   :-\  If not, they'd be pretty unpopular with the farmers and abbatoirs wouldn't they?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS