Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chewing on a shed  (Read 4079 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Chewing on a shed
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:48:27 pm »
Wondered if anyone has any ideas for stopping my sheep chewing the wood on my shed? They only do it when I'm sitting in there -it's as if they're telling me to get out and go and open the gate to their other field. I wondered about some aerosol spray I've seen advertised to stop horses crib biting that's supposed to taste unpleasant, but thought I'd ask on the forum first.  Thanks.
4 pet sheep

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Chewing on a shed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:13:48 am »
Chewing wood can often be a sign of mineral deficiency. Do they have access to a mineral lick?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:23:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply Clydesdaleclopper! Yes they actually have 2 different mineral licks in the field, so I don't think it's that.
4 pet sheep

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 02:36:38 pm »
Spray some vinegar on it?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 02:42:13 pm »
Can you hurdle off the part they chew on - they can get into a habit of doing something like this.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 05:24:43 pm »
Get some tree branches in there - preferably fruit trees or ones with crumbly bark, our sheep and goats eat the trees all the time, we've had to fence off specific trees so they can't get them or put a cylinder of chicken wire around the trunks, but they love us chopping and thinning out, they get loads of tree trunks and branches here - get some from the roadside or the like.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 06:01:54 pm »
My sheep are currently de-barking the willow prunings and other stuff, ready to use as kindling next winter...

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 07:13:57 pm »
If they only do it when you sit in the shed then don't sit in the shed

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 09:57:43 pm »
Cribox to stop horses wind sucking may not work but could be worth a try !!! Or just let them in the other field and see if they come back for a nibble !!   :roflanim: Naughty sheep  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS