Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wellies  (Read 14877 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Wellies
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 11:03:57 am »
I can vouch for the grip on Le Chameau - best of any I've had, I think.  I did a lot of walking on Exmoor in my Le Chameaux.  Oh, and horse-riding too.

I cannot vouch for how the rubber stands up to cattle urine and dung, though, as my Le Chameaux had been ruined by someone wearing them for rowing (stretching them, and leaving them damp in a bag  :rant:) before I got to the point of having any cattle.

I'd got mine about half price at a summer fair, or would probably never have tried them.  I wanted wellies with a good enough heel for riding, so I could have waterproof feet and ankles if needing to dismount in muddy conditions. 

Having now had them, I would buy them again if I was sure the cattle urine wouldn't rot the rubber.  So am interested to see the responses to your query.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 10:19:25 pm »
The ones I had were wide-calved and no zips.  I don't like zips and I do have fat calves!  Whether I was just lucky to find them I don't know.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 08:06:39 am »
For using in a parlour le chameaux cannot be beaten, it is just a pity my feet are too broad for them.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 08:40:58 am »
Brill, thanks....will keep a look out on ebay

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2016, 02:52:08 pm »
I know slightly off topic, I'm taking normal boots here, but if anyone is looking for comfy but good looking footwear look no further than the Rieker range. I bought a pair just before Xmas and wore them all around London for days and they were like wearing slippers, I've got funny feet, and never before have I found boots like them.

I m to tight to get the lovely boots you talk about, maybe I ll look for second hand ones too lol.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 03:31:17 pm »
For using in a parlour le chameaux cannot be beaten, it is just a pity my feet are too broad for them.

Surprised by this Buttermilk!  I thought I had odd shaped feet (they are short and wide), which makes it incredibly hard to get any shoes to fit as, if they're wide enough they're too long and I end up like a clown, and if they're the right length they're too narrow.  I found Le Chameau to have a better range of widths available than most boots and, particularly the neoprene has enough 'give' to work for me.  Sorry to hear that you aren't so lucky.

Maybe we should start a protest group for people with weird shaped feet to be properly represented in the boot market!!!???

Their long leather boots are the only ones that fit me so I was surprised the wellies did not. I ended up milking in leather work boots.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
Their long leather boots are the only ones that fit me so I was surprised the wellies did not. I ended up milking in leather work boots.

Now that's what I call a class act!

Not quite it was Dickies work boots.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 05:29:32 pm »
Somebody should send this thread to Hunter then perhaps they will go back to making decent boots that last instead of these flimsy girlie boots that let the water in after a few weeks wear

Foel Isaf

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 11:22:33 am »
Dunlop Purofort thermo are brilliant. They are very warm to wear, have steel toe caps and a very good tread - my husband describes them as having four wheel drive for feet, even in slippy mud

Pagan

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 03:18:25 pm »
I live in my wellies all year round and haven't found a pair that will last over a year!! Hunters were the favourites but recently bought a pair of neoprene lined Goodyear...super warm (my 58 year old feet like warm!) tough, dark blue with pink trim(!) all for 40 quid (Amazon). Highly recommended , husband has a pair too...only without the pink trim! :love:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:12 pm »
Anyone have suggestions for a lightweight, warm, zip up wellie? Hubby doesn't have wide calves so that doesn't matter, but the weight and ease to get on and off are important.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 08:03:42 pm »
Just taken delivery of a Harry hall long boot, they have a mucked style foot and tough fabric from ankle up with velcro straps.  Very comfy and best thing £19.99 plus a little delivery cost. In fact they're so cheap I bought two pairs lol

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 08:05:27 pm »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 09:16:52 pm »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 11:42:14 pm »
Awesome, I didn't want to take them off tonight, so comfy x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS