Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wellies  (Read 14870 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Wellies
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 11:29:09 am »
Dunlop Purofort are the only ones I'll buy. My last pair were four years old, worn every day,  and are still ok apart from the grip being a bit worn out. Never had cold feet in them. They have several different types to suit all situations. I'd never go for any without steel toecaps if you have livestock. My current ones were about 60 quid and I expect to get a good few years out of them so much cheaper than several pairs of cheapo wellies and with warm feet as a bonus.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 07:25:52 pm »
Not that they have received much wear other than general tramping about I can vouch for the warmth and comfort of my pair of neoprene lined Seeland Field wellies. Never had warmer feet when walking in the cold. Good grip too, even compared to walking boots.

http://www.seelanduk.co.uk/products/seeland-products/footwear/field-17-4mm-neoprene-wellington.html

Magnus

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 01:49:17 pm »
Lots of suggestions here - thanks all. I am not slim of calf - or ankle unfortunately! I think visiting a few shops to try on different brands is going to be essential.

My wellies are indeed 20 years old - bought in 1996 for a biology field trip! They haven't always had frequent use but I think I've had my moneys worth. I only discovered they leaked when standing in a very large puddle (of which we have had a few) though they were fine paddling in the summer.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 02:09:10 pm »
Bekina's are wide fitting and have good calf width (I have big calves too! :))

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 04:15:15 pm »
I had a £5 pair from an Army surplus shop that lasted 6 years of daily use!  Not the warmest, but I bought a size up and some welly liners and they were fine.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 04:27:30 pm »
I am glad someone brought this subject up. I have been struggling to find neoprene wellies for ages which will last me at least a year or more, the last ones I had I had to send them back due to a manufacturing fault and the next lot they sent out where the same. :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 08:06:30 pm »
Another vote for Dunlop Purfort. Comfy, light and grippy.
Neoprene boots are real comfy but it depends what you do in them! Mine had to be ditched after a few months as nearly killed me on several occasions in the milking parlour due to the Lack of tread.
Nora's last well but freeze your feet.
Hunters hopeless and bog standard dunlops have a good grip but really uncomfortable .
Never been able to afford/justify Le Chameau so no idea about them.
Muck boots are supposed to be warm and comfy to.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 12:21:06 am »
Argylls, can't get on with muck boots, after being pinned in ankle they're just too stiff and I find when the grip had worn some they're no good.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 08:31:06 am »
anyone tried Aigle  Parcour ?   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 02:49:16 pm »
I've got Aigle Parcour ISO (the neoprene ones), live in them all year round. Mine are going into their 4th winter, had 1 small split where the foot meets the sole but repaired and good as new again. Sooo comfy too :)

charlestcat

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 05:18:48 pm »
Agree here with Foolbar; Bekina steplites are great for winter. Good sole for reduced slippage in mud important this year!) & when icey .   Roomy for thick socks, warm as well. Never had a problem with them.
I have the Agri lite for summer as these lighter and a fit better with thinner socks when it eventually gets warmer.

Muckboots are good too but found as they wear down they become a bit like being on slicks; there is no grip.

Hunters don't like; found they were unable to cope with the oodles of mud and stuff.

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
twizzel - do you find them OK in the summer - not to hot? These are the ones at the top of my list at the moment…… as long as they fit. I would have got a 6 but they are 5.5 or 6.5

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 04:17:19 pm »
I just bought my mum cotswold ladies wellies, sandringham i think they're called. Really comfy and warm, however they're for slender feet and calves so they wouldn't fit me, but i can absolutely recommend them. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 05:41:54 pm »
I asked this question a while back, and as a result, bought some Purofort wellies, which I've been very pleased with.

Don't get the fleece lined ones though, as the lining wears through quite quickly and then becomes uncomfortable. Also be careful around barbed wire etc, as they are quite thin. You can probably guess how I found that out  :-\ .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 10:16:14 am »
Not a fan of Aigle but it's a personal choice.

As for "can't afford Le Chameau":
1) work it out as a "capital purchase" - they are cheap when you consider the wear they get and the time they last;
2) if you're not proud, keep an eye on eBay... I've picked up the odd pair at half price (some new, some lightly used).

I meant I can't afford to buy them when I don't know for sure they'd do the job!
When your in a milking parlour a lot any loss of grip on your wellies is deadly, so if anyone who milks often and wears them can recommend then I'd consider them next time,  as comfort is vital when wearing nearly all day every day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS