Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wellies  (Read 14872 times)

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
Wellies
« on: January 12, 2016, 07:40:41 pm »
Well, after 20 years my well used Hunter wellies sprung a leak over Christmas and I now need to invest in a new pair. I understand Hunters are not so good any more and am looking for recommendations. I'm told Le Chameau or Aigle Parcours are worth a look. I'd like some warm ones as they are mostly used when it's cold (on the basis that mud=rain=cold!) so thinking neoprene or lined. If they're going to be costly they also need to be able to last several years. Suggestions please!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Wellies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:47:24 pm »
I've just got a pair of Dunlop Prufort as recommended by VSS, after years of having Muckboots, and I like thema lot. I found the Muckboots very slippy and I always had wear at the heel that aused a rough bit that wrecked socks (and heels on occasion).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:48:19 pm »
I wear neoprene and rubber boots from Muck Boot Co.  I think they cost about £70 when I got these a few years back.  They are sturdy with a nice thick sole, so protect you from ground cold, and have a deep tread pattern.  Mine are purple which is a plus point (my favourite colour  ::))

Two slight drawbacks - they don't have steel toecaps, and are close fitting so they don't slop about but sometimes they are hard to get off, but that's solved by using a boot jack.

I haven't found the problems with Muck Boot that Rosemary has.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:51:22 pm »
I can show you the scabs. And I loved my Muckboots - had loads of pairs because they are warm and stretchy and accommodated my well developed calves (which Hunters never did) but I could hole a pair of socks in a week.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:04 pm »
Another muckboots fan here too :)
Mine kept my feet lovely and toasty in freezing Ireland over Dec and coped completely with the floods we got (up to knees and beyond in places) with no leaks and no cold feet.
I do find them a bit snug to get on and off but again thats a plus imo :)

Mine were from ebay and were a bit cheaper as a less wanted color (a weirdish blue) and are supposed to keep you warm well into the minuses

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:05 pm »
Did I read this right 20 years old wellies. I've tried them all and am lucky if any pair lasts me a year, I do a lot of work when wearing them because that's what there for maybe it's the size 12 that does it lol.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 08:38:52 pm »
My muck boots (avon 'model') just failed and i've bought aigle parcour iso 2 as a replacement, about £50 more expensive but thought worth a go. I think they've got better grip but obviously the muck boots were a few years old already so difficult to compare.
I definitely wouldn't have non-neoprene though, so pleasant in the cold.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 09:04:45 pm »
I have Ariat ones. I love them because they have an insulated insole so my feet don't freeze, the sole is the same as their standard boots so is very supportive for my feet and they have lasted ages.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 05:17:29 am »
Another Dunlop Purfort fan here, they last like no other I've tried, especially when you have cattle.  (And I am trying not to take the huff that Rosemary clearly never listened to me singing their praises over the years!   :huff:  ;) :D)

I wear two pairs of socks (one thin one thicker) and knitted slippers over those, no need for neoprene, enough bulk that nothing moves around (especially as I tuck my trouser cuffs into the socks) and toasty warm.  For those who don't want to knit slippers, there are Bama Welly slippers, which are thin but very warm, and can be left on the feet all day, like the knitted slippers.  That way it's no big deal putting the wellies on or off.

BH is a big fan of the knitted slippers too, and wears them all winter to keep his feet warm inside his Bulldog wellies.  At least when we have a winter, that is.  ::) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 07:54:18 am »
The issue with wellies is really what shape and size feet and calves you have.  I have narrow ankles and calves but wider feet ....hunters too narrow ... Most other we!lies far too wide at ankles so slip up and down.  So still searching for the right boot (and the left one !  :roflanim: )

Don't you find the proforts heavy?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 08:04:21 am »
I have dunlop purforts.  You soon get used to the weight, especially if you also wear steel toed workboots.  I would have got le chameaux but they did not fit :( as I have some le chameaux long leather boots and they are soo comfy.

You really have to get to a shop and try the different makes on to find what will fit you.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 09:11:13 am »
My son uses Nora Max and my daughter Bekina Pur - both are warm and have worn well.  My Muck boots are more expensive but I think Englebert Strauss, the German workwear manufacturers, are now doing a cheaper lookalike.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:52:12 am »
Bekina StepliteX - lightest safety boot I've ever worn.  The are warm enough all year for me but they also do an insulated version too.  Has a truely non-slip sole too.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:55:22 am »
Dunlops all the way-hated Muck Boots with a passion (sweaty, slippy things) and I think Hunters are way over priced for the quality which is shocking really.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 10:30:55 am »
I have the Purforts without steel toes and they are light as a feather; it's one of the many things I like about them.

They also do mens and womens' fit, but stores often have only one option in each size (usually women's up to 6 or 7, and men's above; I'm a 7, of course) and you have to ask for the other.  For all I know might even do a wider foot version - it's worth asking.

I have narrow-ish feet and very chunky calves; I could never wear Hunters at all, couldn't get them on.  I wear the men's Purforts in order to get the wider calves.

Otherwise, when the weather's cold, would legwarmers help you, Linda?  By filling up the gaps in the leg part?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS