Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: NEEDED - a couple of cobs on loan  (Read 2870 times)

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
NEEDED - a couple of cobs on loan
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:22:01 pm »
Hi all,

I am looking for a 1 or 2 cobs to have on loan. I have 7 acres of grass land that need grazing. Able to work them everyday and keep them fit.

Please get in touch.

(my postcode area is CF46 - Mid Glamorgan)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: NEEDED - a couple of cobs on loan
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 12:15:30 pm »
Try one of the rescue charities - WHW maybe?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:28:03 pm »
Hi all,

I am looking for a 1 or 2 cobs to have on loan. I have 7 acres of grass land that need grazing. Able to work them everyday and keep them fit.

Please get in touch.

I have found a few ads on preloved, maybe try these people?
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/110786699/2-ponies-for-loan.html
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:47:03 pm »
Grazing needs for horses suggested are 1.5 for the first and an acre each thereafter.  Cob types maybe on a rotational basis to restrict access if good doers.  You might need 5 or even 6 for 7 acres, wish you were in east central Scotland and I'd send you some!  Most of mine are round ring feeders knee deep in mud.

I've friends in Newtown that had cobs and sec A ponies.  Is that too far before I try and contact them?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:50:15 pm by ellied »
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 06:06:40 pm »
Grazing needs for horses suggested are 1.5 for the first and an acre each thereafter.  Cob types maybe on a rotational basis to restrict access if good doers.  You might need 5 or even 6 for 7 acres, wish you were in east central Scotland and I'd send you some!  Most of mine are round ring feeders knee deep in mud.

I've friends in Newtown that had cobs and sec A ponies.  Is that too far before I try and contact them?

Hi,

I unfortunately don't have a trailer yet so although I used to live right next from Newtown, I'm now approx 100 miles down south. (I've got 7 acres of grassland by the way  :) ) If they are happy to deliver them, transportation cost can be arranged of course and if that sounds ok then I am happy to know more about what they have.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:21:18 pm by DCBBGB »

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 06:19:50 pm »
Hi all,

Please get in touch.

I have found a few ads on preloved, maybe try these people?
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/110786699/2-ponies-for-loan.html

Hey waterbuffalofarmer,

Thanks for the link. I went through the description and they seem lovely ponies but unfortunately might be a bit small (10.2h!) - no kids to ride them...

Keep sending though  :)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 06:40:43 pm »
You can always drive them if too small to ride!
Have you considered some sheep? Horses aren't known for being the best at grazing down grass, they can tend to leave patches long and others barren as they pick their favourite bits.
Store lambs take little (but not no) effort to keep them ticking over through winter and might get your grass grazed for spring when other ideas may be available.

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 07:12:22 pm »
You can always drive them if too small to ride!
Have you considered some sheep? Horses aren't known for being the best at grazing down grass, they can tend to leave patches long and others barren as they pick their favourite bits.
Store lambs take little (but not no) effort to keep them ticking over through winter and might get your grass grazed for spring when other ideas may be available.

I must admit that my wife and I are looking for cobs for the enjoyment of having them as well...! On the other hand, I am quietly looking into sheep but would like a shedding breed, maybe Dorpers. (?).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 07:22:09 pm »
I was told by people on this forum that dorpers have bad foot tendancies, plus they're  expensive to buy. As a hardy shedding breed why not try castlemilk moorit? They're a rare breed, shed their wool, are flystrike resistent and I am told their meat is lovely too.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 07:30:40 pm »
I was told by people on this forum that dorpers have bad foot tendancies, plus they're  expensive to buy. As a hardy shedding breed why not try castlemilk moorit? They're a rare breed, shed their wool, are flystrike resistent and I am told their meat is lovely too.

Didn't know about this breed. (That is why! :D) I've got loads to learn... Castlemilk Moorit are indeed cheaper...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 03:50:55 am »
Castlemilk Moorits are not reliable shedders.  Some do sometimes but most don't, and those that do mostly don't completely.

Wiltshire Horn shed.  I'm not sure how hardy they'd be for Wales.  :thinking:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 11:27:08 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to study shedding sheep breeds more to make sure I find the ideal one. I will most likely create a post in the sheep section of the forum...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:45:57 pm by DCBBGB »

Maisie

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 05:42:06 pm »
Have you contacted any local riding schools/trekking centres? Some of them are glad to loan out horses in the quiet season.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS