Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adoption advice  (Read 6938 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Adoption advice
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 10:08:01 pm »
 :love: :love: :love:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 12:04:54 am »
Awwww he is beautiful, congrats! I'm sure he will have a very happy life with you and your family. All the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 01:09:27 am »
Certainly looks like he's made himself at home, we'll done.
What did you decide on sleeping arrangements for him?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 12:05:29 pm »
He looks lovely, do keep us posted - and more pics as he regains full health. 

:thumbsup:

Edited to correct his gender!  :-[
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:22:35 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 01:36:59 pm »
He seems to have found himself a nice spot by the fire  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Cocomartinez

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 08:12:11 pm »
For the time being he has a squishy, padded bed in the laundry at night, a soft rug in the kitchen and another soft rug next to the fire in the living room for naps. This may change as he settles in.

We took him to the vet today because heīs scratching to the point of drawing blood.  She says itīs an allergy.  Probably flea bite, mites, or pollen.  Frankly, I find that strange since he was in a cement run for 3 months and itīs done nothing but pour for the last 10 days.  We have an appointment for next week, a steroid and an antibiotic for a toe he managed to rip the claw from, and heīs had a medicated shampoo spa treatment.  Looking very handsome. :love:

Any recommendations on chews?  I got a bag of pigs ears, but he polished off the first one today in less than 5 minutes.  Impressive jaws.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 09:02:24 pm »
Any recommendations on chews?  I got a bag of pigs ears, but he polished off the first one today in less than 5 minutes.  Impressive jaws.

Cow ears are less fatty and tummy friendly.
Otherwise try pizzles, dried tendons and beef scalp, raw tracheas (frozen and stuffed take a while), antlers or anco roots (antlers can break teeth so be wary), nylabones or try filled kongs?

Cocomartinez

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 01:10:26 pm »
He has a kong, but loses interest the minute thereīs no goodies left.  ::)

Now heīs taken to chewing on his ĻragĻ rug and pulling the fabric strips. I wonder if he wouldnīt enjoy a soft knotted rope thing to shred.  Are they safe?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 01:17:10 pm »
There is another thread about what to do with socks with holes in. If you have any of those knot them together and let him play and chew on those.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 05:16:23 pm »
There is another thread about what to do with socks with holes in. If you have any of those knot them together and let him play and chew on those.
And just hope he doesn't start on the one still on your foot LOL

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 10:27:00 pm »
what food is he on?  Often itching is a food allergy rather than pollen at this time of year, beef dairy and rice aften being the culprits in my experience but I know dogs that are allergic to chicken too.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Cocomartinez

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 01:03:14 pm »
Thanks again for your thoughts.

Wouldnīt you know I just threw out an entire bag of holey socks. :P  Got him rope thingy with a tennis ball connected and he made short work of the ball. 

He has perked up and started nibbling on us!  Better your shirt cuff than skin.  Puppy behavior?

After looking it up, it seems flea spit(!) is a common allergy and can last weeks from the actual bite.  We did have a warm, dry November and December, so I suppose itīs possible.

So far feeding raw chicken parts, pork, beef bones, along with cooked rice, oatmeal, squash and veg, with a little organ meat thrown in and some yoghurt to help compensate for the antibiotics.  :yum: I know he was on the cheapest bulk kibble available before.  Weīll see how he is after the prescriptions are done.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 03:43:00 pm »
After looking it up, it seems flea spit(!) is a common allergy and can last weeks from the actual bite.  We did have a warm, dry November and December, so I suppose itīs possible.

I have a collie here chewing himself to pieces and ripping coat out all over the floor cause of fleas. Everyone is on flea control but unfortunately they have to be bitten for it to work.. I've had to re-start billy no mates months earlier than I expected. Spotted a very desiccated flea on the cat along with some flea poo so they are around  >:( >:( >:(

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 03:51:33 pm »
So far feeding raw chicken parts, pork, beef bones, along with cooked rice, oatmeal, squash and veg, with a little organ meat thrown in and some yoghurt to help compensate for the antibiotics.  :yum: I know he was on the cheapest bulk kibble available before.  Weīll see how he is after the prescriptions are done.

Me again  :innocent:
You have him on good food (imo  ;) ) but can I suggest ditching the oatmeal and rice? Rice can be an allergen for some dogs, and both oatmeal and rice aren't really digested by dogs and just come out the other end in the same quanitity they went in. If you are wanting to bulk out his food a bit then green beans are good, broccoli and other veg  and if are steamed lightly, they can be semi digested.

I feed my lot raw and if they have a mince meal, I put it in here for them  http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/Interactive-Feeder.html?gclid=CI6dqqCOosoCFUi3GwodGvsNNw turns a 30sec meal into a 5 minute one :D

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 04:22:48 pm »
For chews have a look at Millies Wolfheart- they do loads of natural chews, ours love cows ears, udder strips and the lamb head skins… I had an order arrive this week with some beef tracheas too which might be right down his street as they are huge (says on the label good for joint care too). They do fantastic grain free kibble too, our 2 spaniels are on the gamekeeper mix :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS