Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adoption advice  (Read 6939 times)

Cocomartinez

• Joined Jan 2013
Adoption advice
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:25:20 am »
We´re planning to start visiting 2 or 3 local shelters this weekend.  We´re looking for a 2-5 year old GSD mix, which appear to be common from looking on their webpages.

Any general advice regarding what to look for, what to have prepared, etc?  We´ve ordered food/water dishes, a kong and some chew treats, but are waiting to find the dog to purchase the right collar/harness/leash.  A friend recommended a beanbag/pouf for a bed which we can get locally. 

Thank you and hope you are having wonderful holidays!

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Adoption advice
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 11:05:53 am »
Go with an open mind is my advice :) Let the dogs "talk" to you (I know that sounds nuts) and don't ignore a dog that doesn't tick the boxes you think you have. It may be the right dog for you is the one you wouldn't look at twice :)

I'd also recommend getting a DAP plug in and potentially a crate for a safe retreat area. Also, and I know this is obvious, don't expect the dog to be perfect. So many dogs go back into rescue within a few days for things like "showed too much interest in the rabbit" or "wouldn't do basic obedience when asked" - remember they need to settle in :)

Have a watch of kikopup on youtube who is really good at positive training too which might give you some good ideas and solutions if needed :) First thing you might need to train is a name command as the dog might not know his name but then probably proofing the recall :) So a long line lead and maybe a clicker :)

Food wise, feed whatever the dog is used to for at least the first fortnight before you change and keep to plainish treats as the stress of changing can cause a case of the dire rear ;) As long as you have food and water dishes collar (with ID tag) and a lead (and poo bags!) then you are pretty much set :) Anything else is nice extras.
I personally recommend the tuffy dog toys that come ranked up to a scale of 9 because although they are pricey they seem to last  well (I have 3 BCs who play violent games of 3 way tug)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »
I was amazed to find that Dogs' Trust don't seem to have any info on their website on the specific topic of settling your new dog into his/her new home.  I did note, however, that they provide you with a collar and lead as part of the adoption pack.

I've had a good few rescues in my time, and I would say, do be prepared to wait for the dog that 'clicks' with you.  It can be very tempting to choose the 'best option' - but if you haven't yet seen the dog that is immediately and irrevocably your new dog, wait.  Of course that could just be me  :roflanim:

I had one rescue, JD, a GSD x collie, who broke my heart.  He had been 'the best option' when I got him and had eventually had to be put to sleep before he really hurt someone  :'(.  I was so emotionally scarred by the whole experience, it was 7 months before I was ready to look for his replacement.

This time I was determined to wait until I 'knew'.  It was deeply frustrating, because, probably partly because I was going to be very picky, of course, it took many centres and several visits before I met Horace.  I'd not had much of a ticklist, only that I didn't want another GSD x collie.  You can probably guess what type Horace was.   ::)  I cannot tell you what it was about him, but I just knew, and once I'd seen him there was no point looking further, even though he was exactly what I'd said I wouldn't have!

He remains the most wonderful pet dog I've ever had the privilege to share my life with.   :love: :dog:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 04:22:18 pm »
Be prepared to be thoroughly grilled by the rescue and to be homechecked to make sure your house and garden are suitable.  Don't take it personally, but these dogs have often been passed from pillar to post and their next move must be forever to be fair to them.

Don't be in a rush, the right dog will be available eventually.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Cocomartinez

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 09:07:20 pm »
Thank you all!  We´ve been holding off, thinking we´ll want to take them all home.

We´re waiting to buy food, thinking the shelter will tell us what they´ve been eating.  As with the collar and lead, depending on how big the dog is.  I understand long walks help during the first few weeks, always on a lead.

Regarding sleeping arrangements - where do your dogs sleep?  Do they have a spot in the living room, kitchen, bedroom etc, or one determined place (i.e. the comfiest chair)?  Out of the way or where you can supervise?  I´m a little worried about the dog wandering aimlessly at night, but on the other hand I´m hesitating about buying a giant crate.  Maybe false economy.  There are various cozy, enclosed spots around the house that might work, but it´s just the 2 of us and the doors mostly stay open.

Thanks again!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:46:29 pm »
All my dogs stay with me wherever I go in the house but sleep in the kitchen at night except the old girl who sleeps in my room in case she has a problem in the night. They all have their own beds but often I find them piled together
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 01:54:24 am »
Our current dogs sleep in the kitchen, previous boy preferred the conservatory, then kitchen as he got older, previous to that a dog who preferred to be outside, he had a warm dry kennel but had to be tied up overnight for safety. Bad weather we had to MAKE him come inside.
Every dog we've  had have been rescue dogs, but by-passed the system.
As long as they have their own bed and space I would think that would be fine. Ours loved their beanbags and made nest shapes, but some dogs could be destructive with them.
 Be prepared for a long period of really settling in, you're unlikely to know their background. I think it has taken about a year before they've 100% settled. It must be very confusing/unsettling for them, however much we care for them, we know they're here to stay but what's going through their minds?
It may be best to keep it in one room at nights, until it settles in and knows where it should sleep.
Most dogs we've had we've had to go back to basic training, again that could be they've been confused after different homes.

Only time we got one from a dogs home I had to walk out in tears, all those poor dogs. i did go back, we walked a dog out and for some reason I calied him Jack. We decided to go home and discuss, we knew on the way home we'd be back, so did the kennel girl  :), she was watching for us the next day, so Jack came to live with us for 11 wonderful years, he would always be with me.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 08:31:02 am »
Its a bit like fostering a child. Most will come with past history that leaves some form of mental scar. Be prepared not to be trusted or loved . Give the dog he/she own quite place that it can go to if it needs to. it may take weeks or even longer to form a good bond so don't expect too much. On the other hand you may end up with a dog that has no problems and fit in right away. Best of luck on finding what is right for you.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:03:31 am »
I would never be without a crate at the start with a new dog.  So much so when we designed our new kitchen we built one in.  Once we know that the dog is not going to chew everything overnight and is house trained, the door is taken off and it is always a safe place for the dogs when I am crafting, cooking or otherwise busy in the kitchen and do not need a dog underfoot.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:36 am »
I would never be without a crate at the start with a new dog.  So much so when we designed our new kitchen we built one in.  Once we know that the dog is not going to chew everything overnight and is house trained, the door is taken off and it is always a safe place for the dogs when I am crafting, cooking or otherwise busy in the kitchen and do not need a dog underfoot.

Absolutely agree with Buttermilk on the crate. Dogs learn it is their space and will go in and sleep/relax in there like they would a basket but you have the advantage of being able to close the door when needed. They need to be able to walk in turn around, stand up etc but it doesn't need to be huge just be the right size for the dog.

Also very handy when they come in wet!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 10:26:50 am »
Whether a crate, or just the space under a table, under the stairs, wherever, the dog needs an enclosed space, like a den, that is his (or hers), where it knows it is safe from interference.  Then whenever it feels anxious, it can retreat into that space and feel secure.  Children, visitors and everyone in the house need to know that's the dog's own space and to leave it be when it is there.

Apart from the very first one, I've always been bringing the new dog into a home where there's already at least one other dog (and a cat or several, too), so that is enormously settling for the newcomer; they can just watch the other dogs and do as they do, and they aren't ever alone.  If I were bringing a dog from kennels to a home without other dogs, I think I would definitely be inclined to either crate it and/or have it in the bedroom with me for the first few nights.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 10:45:32 am »
We don't have a crate, but our girl has more than enough choice of where to sleep. Dog bed and sofa which she sleeps on during the day and then the spare bed and our bed which she flicks between during the night. It will depend on your dog what they want, and you will give in to them.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 10:54:17 am »
I would have suggested a crate, but OP didn't seem to want that route, ours also get used for geese, lambs, goat kids (nearly just said kids, would have had nspcc after me Lol). As long as they aren't used as a punishment I think they are a great idea.  Can be covered over to make a cosy den, and not be obvious as a cage in the house.

Cocomartinez

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 03:40:28 pm »
Frankly, I want a big dog, while trying to keep an open mind.  A mastiff/GSD cross is a pretty common farmdog round these parts, so I guess I´ll wait until we´ve made a choice to buy a crate or not.

There are nooks in the laundry room off the kitchen - a little chilly but it has a slate floor, and the bedroom, again chilly with a wood floor, and no one´s in there during the day, and in the living room, wood and rugs.  But DH works from his office there, and I´m afraid the dog will be startled by some of his phone harrangues (I know I am).

BTW - I understand that GSD´s shed a lot.  Any recommendations on a good brush?

Also, other than moving stuff out of tail reach, and keeping countertops clear whilst training, any dog proofing I should be doing?

Thank you all!!  Happy New Year.

Cocomartinez

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 09:14:38 pm »
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.  Just wanted to update to introduce the newest member of the family.  Meet Breogán, a 3 year old Spanish mastiff mix.  He´s underweight, has some little cuts and abrasions, and is blowing his undercoat to a formidable degree, but has settled in unbelievably well and is an utter delight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS