Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beef Efficiency Scheme Scotland  (Read 3609 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Beef Efficiency Scheme Scotland
« on: December 29, 2015, 01:01:45 pm »
Any other beef cattle keepers in Scotland got their Beef Efficiency Scheme diary this morning?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Beef Efficiency Scheme Scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:41:48 pm »
Yes postie brought this surprise today. Gestation table is a bit out for ours as they calve 9 months and 17 days on average. Extra paperwork and homework for the kids or me to get info on to computer, (OH won't do the  computer bit) Will have to get hold of a weighing machine.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:21:12 pm by Talana »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:23:50 pm »
I'm going to preregister just to stay in the loop but we won't be eligible to take part as you have to be part of a Farm Assurance Scheme, which we're not - and with our small numbers, it's unlikely that joining any FA scheme will be cost effective. Disappointing as it might have collected some useful data on Shetlands but I would doubt that many Shetland breeders will be eligible.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:36:22 pm »
It's not cost effective for anyone but they are trying to make everyone farm assured. They have recently re structured there pricing bands -Lowest membership fees are   band 1 46.29 vat 9.26 total£55.55 per year for 1 - 5 livestock units (cattle 1 livestock unit ,sheep 0.1 livestock unit.) There is also a crofter group as part of the farm assured where I think a group can apply as one member so share costs.Hopefully the below links work:
 qms link: http://www.qmscotland.co.uk/cattle-sheep-standards 
joining form link shows the pricing bands: http://www.qmscotland.co.uk/sites/default/files/qmsappform2015-16issue3rev3-editable_0.pdf
crofter group form link; http://www.qmscotland.co.uk/sites/default/files/qmsgroupappform15-16issue3rev2-editable.pdf
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:54:24 pm by Talana »

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 09:53:23 pm »
If you are interested in recording this info. you can just do it yourself or groups of people or breed societies could set up own scheme. Generations of people have been making their stock more efficient  without computers and endless paperwork- it's called stockmanship- basic stock sense and getting to know your own land and your own animals.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:42:12 am »
I don't disagree - we've always recorded information on the sheep (we have so few cattle that a spreadsheet would be overkill). The scheme potentiallly would have had benefits for the Shetland breed though, in the collection if data. It's not something that the breed society seems interested in doing.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:24:00 pm »
......we won't be eligible to take part as you have to be part of a Farm Assurance Scheme, which we're not ......it's unlikely that joining any FA scheme will be cost effective. ......
You'll be glad your not part of a QA Scheme - my view is that they are a lot of work, regulations, stress with no added bonus regarding the final product/commodity price.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:33:38 pm »
......we won't be eligible to take part as you have to be part of a Farm Assurance Scheme, which we're not ......it's unlikely that joining any FA scheme will be cost effective. ......
You'll be glad your not part of a QA Scheme - my view is that they are a lot of work, regulations, stress with no added bonus regarding the final product/commodity price.
But if selling through market or direct to slaughter a lot of buyers are only able to buy farm assured beef... Thus by not being farm assured you limit the avenues to sell your stores/finished bullocks through. Depends where your market lies at the end of the day.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 07:36:26 pm »
Private sales twizzel - we only have a coulpe of beasts away every year.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 11:38:15 am »
......But if selling through market or direct to slaughter a lot of buyers are only able to buy farm assured beef... Thus by not being farm assured you limit the avenues to sell your stores/finished bullocks through. Depends where your market lies at the end of the day.
Oh I realise this but I know for a fact that there are stock that have gone through mart rings from guys who are not QA and they have gotten the same prices as those who have to go through the rigma of all the QA reg's. 

I would also extend my views to growers producing cereals, fruit and veg too - QA is a waste of time financially for them but sadly for both sectors its the only way that they can sell their stuff. IMHO
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:51:06 am by Carse Goodlifers »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS