Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccines in (possibly) pregnant goats  (Read 1641 times)

peedrr

• Joined May 2012
Vaccines in (possibly) pregnant goats
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:21:15 pm »
Hi all,

Decided quite late in the season to breed our 3 ladies (2x GG, 1x GGXSaanen), they've got a billy with them now. This is their first time of breeding. It's been in the back of my mind that I need to look into vaccines and it seems that the recommendation is to vaccinate before pregnancy. The ladies are all around 18 months to 2 years old and haven't been vaccinated at all in the past year that we've had them.

What is the best course of action now and for how long would you avoid drinking their milk?

Many thanks.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Vaccines in (possibly) pregnant goats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:59:14 pm »
Ask your vet for advice on what may be common in your area.
Clostridial disease is the main thing to vaccinate, best to read the British goat society's recommendations.
Usually the booster will be given shortly before kidding to protect the kids through colostrum, so is safe to use in pregnancy. Goats don't produce very good immunity so boosters should be given every 6 months not every 12 as for sheep, otherwise it is the same dose, same primary course etc.
The milk and meat withdrawal for heptavac and lambivac is 0, I believe other vaccines the same.
Your vet may be able to advise what is best, or other local goat keepers, or the person you got them from.
Hope that helps

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Vaccines in (possibly) pregnant goats
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 02:05:09 pm »
As they did not have any vaccination n the last year I think you would need to go back to the double shot, as in repeat of 1st shot after 4 weeks. I would then time it so that the second injection falls in the period of 2 - 3 weeks from their kidding date. That would give any kids passive immunity for the first 8 to 10 weeks, after which they then need their own programme.

The recommended vaccine for goats is Lambivac and a separate pasteurella vaccine, like Ovipast, not on the same day and a different injection site too. Lambivac needs to be boostered in goats at least every 6 months, Ovipast annually. I booster Lambivac every 4 months (due to some problems in the past with enterotoxaemia), and ovipast 6 - monthly.

No withdrawal for either milk or meat.

Also if you plan to put them in kid you will need to dry them off for the last 8 weeks minimum before kidding.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS