Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What was your ...  (Read 4685 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: What was your ...
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 11:40:10 pm »
My all-time favourite and, in fact, the only one I remember getting was a very old Remington typrewriter with a white blob on the T key (so I had to learn where it was) when I was about 14. My auntie, uncle and three cousins were staying so, with my brothers and me, that made six children. The other five ignored their presents and queued up to have a go on my typewriter.

My mum remembers the year that my younger brother, aged about 12, was desperate for a bike for Christmas and there was no way the budget would run to it. One day my mum saw a secondhand bike for a couple of pounds in a shop. It was very rusty but she told my dad who went to have a look, saw that the frame was sound so bought it. They spent evening after evening, once we were in bed, sanding it down, replacing spokes and painting it. Christmas morning my brother rushed into the sitting room when we were told we could get our presents and stopped dead. He was not at all demonstrative but he yelled, "Yabba Dabba Doo!" at the top of his voice and threw himself at my mum, wrapping his arms AND legs round her. She says that that reaction made all the late nights and sore fingers worth it.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 01:00:22 pm »
I don't remember many gifts but one was a farmyard set to build a barn and stables from flat pieces.  Came with sheep and a cow, and 2 horses, can't recall hens but maybe they were too small for wee ones to play with.  Definitely a treasure at the time and obviously a good choice as I already had the dream!

This year I have recently found a wee cleaning job which is going to make a difference to my likelihood of hanging on a bit longer both financially and emotionally.  To be chosen for something and just wanted around is enough right now to brighten a very dark and depressing time.  No wrapping or ribbons but the best I can think of in a very long time?  A year ago I couldn't have physically managed it either, so it is also a reminder of the one thing that's gone well this year.  I plan to mull myself some wine later and drink it all to celebrate the news.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 02:02:13 pm »
Oh, now Susan the dolly came to mind first but Sally reminded me of Britains farm animals. I LOVED them - don't really rememebr getting them for Christmas but I always got to pick one (one, mind) from JB Rae's shop in Primrose Street in Alloa, after I had been to the dentist. I also saved up birthday and Christmas money to buy them.

My cousin, who's eight years older than me, had masses of them including machinery and a bale elevator. I was hugely envious, especially since he didn't play with them anymore.

Also Fuzzy Felts. I loved them. I had the Jungle and the Farm and a horsey one. Spent hours. And Lego.

I DID construct a Lego windmill yesterday evening. Oh, the luxury of having bricks shaped as roof tiles. Kids today don't know they're born  ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 04:22:33 pm »

I DID construct a Lego windmill yesterday evening. Oh, the luxury of having bricks shaped as roof tiles. Kids today don't know they're born  ::)

I KNOW!  My second cousin (cousin's daughter) visits regularly, and last time we played with some Lego kits (as well as doing a bit of knitting - she's coming on really well.)  All the bits and pieces to make up service vehicles and personnel and so on .. what fun! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015, 12:05:35 am »
Lego must be one of the few toys that have stood the test of time (other than dolls and toy cars/trains). My brother had one of the early sets - red or white bricks and a green base and that was it. That must have been in the late 50s/early 60s. When I see what my grandchildren have in the way of Lego and think back, I am amazed.

Just googled it and Lego was first brought out in 1932 so earlier than I thought, but not until 1960 in UK. http://www.lego.com/en-gb/aboutus/lego-group/the_lego_history

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS