Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What was your ...  (Read 4686 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
What was your ...
« on: December 20, 2015, 12:35:53 am »
... best ever Christmas present when you were a child?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: What was your ...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 12:56:05 am »
My 1St drum kit! 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:09:42 am »
a second hand bike.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 03:55:48 am »
A Trumpet ( proper one ) seemed to have disappeared by Easter.......

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 08:22:31 am »
My dolly, Susan

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 09:02:26 am »
Wumphs.  He was a large brown and white dog pajama case.

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 09:03:37 am »
sit on train

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 09:14:29 am »
a table tennis set that went on the dining table! We played many tournaments on wet days.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 09:17:42 am »
A donkey

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 10:52:40 am »
a table tennis set that went on the dining table! We played many tournaments on wet days.
We had one of those, great fun!

A donkey
I'm envious

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 10:56:54 am »
An electric train set.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 11:53:53 am »

The outline of a dancing ballerina to stick on the wall.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »
A wigwam. I rushed into mum and dads bedroom to say thank you for the presents that had been at the bottom of my bed and I was stopped in my tracks by this wigwam erected in their bedroom and it was for ME
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 05:34:32 pm »
I've been thinking about this, having read the thread talking about what people spend on kids' presents these days.

If I think hard I can probably recall things like a bicycle, before that a Tri-ang scooter, that sort of thing, all of which I thoroughly appreciated and used a lot.  I was a huge fan of Britain's farm animals, used to save up pocket money to buy animals and ask for money to put towards things like the farm base and buildings for birthdays and Christmas.  Sis & I both loved Lego, too, and often used to ask for, and get, Lego.  I loved making the gardens with all the little plants.

Oh, and I had an enormous collection of cuddly toys - hated dolls but loved toy dogs, bears and so on - so would usually ask for another each Christmas.  Always to add to the collection, they were all very loved.

We'd be given board games - we loved Monopoly, Totopoly, Risk, Cluedo, etc.  They'd be used all year, of course.  If we hadn't used last year's game very much, it would be one of the presents that would go off to Dr Barnado's before Christmas.  We had to send a few things off - at least one each - every year, so that the boys and girls there could have some presents and to make room for our new ones. 

Spirograph provided hours and hours of entertainment for years.  Nice packs of playing cards were often in our stockings, and they got lots of use too.

Painting by Numbers was always popular - again, hours of entertainment and a nice(ish) picture to enjoy thereafter.  (Mine had always to be or include an animal, or I wasn't interested.)

Jigsaws ditto.

But of all the presents I was given as a child, two stick out in my memory the most.

'Zippie', a pyjama case that was a cuddly cat/bear type thing.  I'd been told I had to save up the money myself.  In fact I got halfway there, my grandmother put the other half and I got him for Christmas.

One of my aunts bought me two packs of crayons.  They were Daley Rowney and I'd never had crayons I enjoyed using so much.  I wasn't much of an artist, but they were so nice to use I did more colouring and sketching than I'd ever done before. 

We were pretty well off, Dad was a Captain of Industry, but our presents weren't expensive.  Looking back, I value them by the amount of entertainment they afforded, not by what they cost.

I begged for a pony every year, of course, but no such luck - or I'd have had a much shorter answer.   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 06:10:17 pm »
I guess i have never been materialistic, this may sound ungrateful, i did have a chopper bike one year, but it didn't mean a thing, mum and dad where either working all the time, or arguing,
my dear old nan did knit me a jumper which i truly loved…until the 1st wash when it shrunk  ;D

i still maintain, the best present was a drawing from my sister annie…i know it was a load of scribbles, but it was special

i think this year will have me getting the best present ever. all our children and grand children are coming down on the 27th…..now thats a present  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS