Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: treeless saddles  (Read 8304 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: treeless saddles
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 07:18:36 pm »
Stacey who is 16 is very keen but I made it clear from the start that Dolly was an on going project. She is more than willing to go at the pace I decide so that it is a good thing. She has been helping me with the Shetlands as I hope to get back to a few shows this year. Stacey has a gentle way with her and even the cat adores her. Her very first day with me the cat got into her bag and pinched her lunch. I don't think Dolly is dangerous, she does not rear or buck but Stacey has been told by me not to try and do anything with her unless I am there. Going by what her father has told me she is loving being here and is learning so much. I enjoy the days she is with me so it works for both of us.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 06:42:35 pm »
A person on a horse sits square by equally sitting on their seat bones. They should do that at all times despite what their legs or arms are doing. Often a person who slips needs correcting at their shoulder but are often told to move their weight across on the saddle instead. Many people don't ride with equal stirrups but in fact sit squarely on their seat bones. A lot of people will be surprised if they take a look at their stirrup leathers that the holes on older leathers are probably not level. Especially if they never swap sides when cleaning them as the left one will stretch with mounting. In fact, where ever possible it is better for your horse and it's tack if you mount from a block.

I have taught many disabled riders but actually this goes for all riders, watch how someone walks and it will tell you a lot about how they will sit on the horse. A lot of disabled people have no use of their arms or legs and in some cases have limbs missing but often they can achieve balance because they can sit equally on both seat bones.

Many people fix their ankles in an exaggerated heels down to compensate for not having a good seat and you should be able to ride rising trot without stirrups because the movement should come from the pelvis not off your feet.

A rider balances by making counter movements to the movement through the horses back so yes take away your stirrups and you will have to relax and use your seat bones or fall off.

You seem to have a great team going here Sabrina but you need to decide who or what is causing Stacey and the saddle to slip. If it is Stacey and she continues to ride like that Dolly is going to get a sore back. And if Dolly already has a sore back it is only going to get worse. It maybe she needs more work on one side than the other and as she gets fitter the saddle won't slip. Can you see Stacey ride something else?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 09:57:40 pm »
Going to film her if the paddocks ever dry up !

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 09:11:32 am »
Good idea, it does sound like she may be collapsing slightly over the hip to one side and weighting one seatbone more than the other. 

Re: treeless, I have a Heather Moffett FlexEE which has a flexible leather tree, and is completely adjustable.  I love it and, more importantly, so does the pony, who moves beautifully in it.  Saving up for a second-hand Vogue now!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 11:04:31 pm »
I use an exercise racing saddle and feel really safe on it. Feels like bareback and my flat back fell used to spin on a sixpence and I never budged. Used a treeless and he did same, saddle slipped and I hit the deck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS