Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welfare issues at a fowl centre  (Read 7709 times)

poppy

• Joined May 2009
Welfare issues at a fowl centre
« on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:22 pm »
I went to a domestic fowl centre this morning just to see what ducklings they had and also to look at other breeds. I got my 3 khaki campbells from there last year as ducklings as I struggled to find anywhere else locally with young ducklings. Anyway, I was quite disgusted at the conditions the ducks and geese were kept in. There were also many hens etc but they seemed ok. The ducks and geese looked really depressed and none of them had access to reasonably clean water - they had small tubs which didn't look like they had been cleaned in many weeks, the water was like brown soup. One khaki campbell, which we think was blind as it's eyes were cloudy, was trying to catch the drips from the ballcock valve before it entered the dirty tub. I appreciate it has been a hard winter and some waterfowl are beginning to moult a little but it doesn't justify the depressed looking birds I saw today. They are a world away from my 3 ducks which are chirpy and active.

We also saw the chicks and ducklings inside. There were two small pens which were buzzing with little chicks and ducklings zooming around. All very nice. However, it did seem like they hadn't been checked for a long while  as the drinker in one pen was full of shavings, as there was no one about I decided to clear the gutter around the drinker to let the water dispense. As soon as the water came out all the chicks and ducklings fought to get to the water, they must have been very thirsty. There was also a chick which was on the way out.

Should I report this centre? It even has the Quality Assured Attraction sign from the English Tourist Board, but it was far from that. What shocked me most was the lack of water for these waterfowl. Even though my ducks only have a paddling pool , it is cleaned out every other day and they love splashing about in it. It's obvious that this centre is struggling for money but why should the birds be the ones that suffer?

Blind duck

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Welfare issues at a fowl centre
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:04:28 pm »
There's moulting and theres neglect and those birds are in a sorry state. I would report them and if they have done nothing wrong their won't be a problem. Good luck.

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:20:58 pm »
I too would say that it needs reporting. Waterfowl do make their water messey and chicks do kick shavings in their water if it's not raised higher enough but it takes mintues to sort and should be done reguarly - hourly if needs be in the case of the chicks. Something needs to be done by the sounds of it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:30:52 pm »
I agree. No need for a witch-hunt, but as James says, if they are not at fault and these are just accidental things then there is no harm done.  Your photographs are evidence of what you saw, and you can give them to the RSPCA.  They won't say who reported them so you should go ahead in my opinion.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:41:24 pm »
I agree the photos do not paint a very good picture of this place.  Having poultry myself, I am well aware of what was clean water this morning, can, by lunchtime, be just a muddy mess.  All the same, if this place is open to the public, I would have thought that they would make sure everything was clean, tidy, and plenty of feed and water available.

What I find puzzling, is that you picked up on these issues, and rightly so.  But, surely, there have been other visitors who must have seen the birds in the same conditons, so why have they not reported it?

I would definitely report your concerns.  At least the place will be visited, and livestock checked.  If they find no problems, then all well and good.  But personally, it looks to me like something needs to be done.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:32:06 pm »
What a discraceful way to keep animals.Report them at once to Trading standards office, and post who they are and where they live.

Places like this should be shut down, but you can guess the RSPCA will do sod all about it..Useless bunch of scroungers.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »
Looks like an issue  needs sorting with the ducks and geese definately. The runs do look inadequate and ill maintained even in the background hen pens. Fences are slack, huts not treated, overused pens etc. Money does look lacking but saying that we have all suffered from extra costs this winter. I would explain your worries to the rspca rather than a full blown complaint. I worked for the rspca for many years and they are not all monsters and do help and advise when well meaning people have found themselves overfaced as this place seems to be.There may be an explanation for the run downess, they may be shutting or moving, taken on too many abandonments, strays and cannot cope.  Or they could have been greedy and tried to cram and breed as many birds as poss to get more public through the gates or to sell. Whichever a call to the rspca seems to be in order, they do look as they want putting back on track!

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:03:14 pm »
I know exactly where this is and have concerns too. I voiced them when I went to see the hens they had 'out back' for sale. They were in a terrible state - hadn't been cleaned out for days - their response was that they were short staffed!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 07:06:06 pm »
This should be stopped.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »
not having seen the place and the conditions myself , I can't comment on what they are like . Pictures can show what things are like to an extent , but there can be valid reasons for some of them .  What really bugs me though , is the almost instant cry of  'REPORT THEM' !!! Why is it that that is always the instant action ?.  Why not go and ask the people what the reason for the situation is ? if it was a private farm they could well tell you to p*ss off and mind your own business. But as it is open to the public , your questions would seem only fair . They may well have valid reasons that aren't at first obvious. They may just need a bit of a hand , why not try offering help instead of reporting them ? This may read as though I am having a go ... I am not ... but instant cries of report them does p*ss me off somewhat. 
 Once reported it can be on their record for ever more , and as I say , there MAY , be valid reasons for the situation .
 If someone is really concerned about the well being of animals , why not ask the people that own them what is the problem , if there is one ? . If you are then told to p*ss off , then you may have no option but to go another route ie report , if you are sure animals are at risk or are suffering .
 Can everyone say without any fear of contradiction, that their animals and their pens are perfect at ALL  times ? Is it not so that people always  seem to turn up and see everyting at it's worst ?
How would you feel if they reported you for something that is not what it may have seemed ?
 One thing I can't stand is anonymous reporting ....if something is up someones nose , why can't they stand up with a bit of backbone and say something , instead of creeping round the back door and snidely reporting it .
 This is not said to deliberately stir sh*te , but it is just my opinion , maybe it is wrong but hey ho there you go ...

cheers

Russ

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 08:27:31 pm »
definitley agree, the birds cant speak for themselves so you have to do it for them  ;) Like the others said there is no harm in expressing your concerns is there?
juliag

poppy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:53 pm »
Thank you all for your advice. Being a livestock farmers daughter I am aware that things aren't going to look rosey all of the time. I just have 'pet' waterfowl which is why I wanted some advice on what I should do, as I do not want to stick my nose in where it is not wanted. I only took my camera as we thought there maybe some housing or pen ideas which we could use for our khaki campbells especially if we expand from 3!

At the end of the day it's the welfare of the animals which is my greatest concern. We are going to voice our concerns with the people running the centre. However, the place was in a similar state a year ago, we haven't been there in summer though so whether things look any healthier I'm not sure.

We have battled over the winter with snow, ice and then mud so we know it isn't easy with waterfowl. The birds body language said a lot though when we visited today. As I said previously, they were a world apart from my ducks who are full of the joys of spring!

Hopefully things will work out for the best for all concerned. Farming on any level is tough and I wouldn't unnecessarily stick my oar in where it wasn't wanted.

Thanks again for the advice  :-\

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »
those pictures look very familiar to somewhere close to my home (2 miles away) and If I'm right its the same place that was reported to the RSPCA not long ago due to rabbits being kept in squalor, chicks pecking each other to death in a children's play area and a number of dead birds lying still in the runs.
if I'm right there is a cafe and shop at the front and the postcode would start with a W?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20:17 pm »
That's the one I'm thinking of Plums  :-[.

It's a shame - it could be so lovely if it was well managed and the birds looked after properly.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:13 pm »
a terrible shame. I bought quite a few of my chickens there and the staff are very knowledgable and helpful but on a bad day the apparant neglect is very upsetting, especially for child visitors (after all it is targetting family days out)
I know the rspca were contacted and this was prompted by a member of staff saying "I'm off home now, its been so busy I've not fed half the animals but they can wait until tomorrow..."

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS