Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rescued a Gosling  (Read 3773 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Rescued a Gosling
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:11:28 pm »
I was driving home after dropping my daughter off to visit her mum and saw a family of Tolouse Geese trying to cross the road ( a very fast stretch of A road). They were on the other side of the road and a Merc coming towards me saw them, braked, clipped one and then carried on. I stopped, got out my car, flagged down the next vehicle which happened to be a Polish Artic and tried to herd them across the road to where they were going. They left a Gosling in the middle of the road as it wasn't moving. I went to pick it up and move it to the side of the road and found it was just in shock and apart from a tiny droplet of blood on its right nostril it was in perfectly good health. I followed the family with the intention of reuniting it with them but they weren't interested and I ended up putting it in a box and bringing it home.

Its now in a brooder making lots of happy noises and eating/drinking well.

Because of where they were I'm inclined to think that they were wild geese so is there anybody I need to inform of my rescue? I'd like to keep it if I manage to nurse it back to health but don't want to break any laws

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Rescued a Gosling
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:34 pm »
Ah, well done you, Mother Goose. :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:56:46 pm »
From what I found through Google - "they are not protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. These are domestic fowl and are therefore not listed in Annex A of the European Union Wildlife Trade Regulations" so I don't think you need to worry about breaking any laws or informing anyone.
Good luck with your adoptive baby  ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:29:55 pm »
aww, poor little thing.  hope all goes well....
Little Blue

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »
I decided to do the right thing and called the RSPCA. They told me to contact a local rescue centre and discuss options. I did, they told me I should keep it (I know them very well and volunteer regularly) so that's what I'm going to do.

Thankyou Happy Hippy. Should the RSPCA come knocking on my door I'll quote your findings and hopefully be able to report to them that all is well and he/she has settled in with my geese just fine!

The droplet of blood on its nostril was from a tiny crack in its beak. I'll see if it heals on its own but if it becomes an issue I'll seek veterinary advice. It must only be a couple of days old as it still has its egg tooth and is still a bit wobbly on its feet. It's in with my chicks at the moment (they're almost 2 weeks and almost the same size) but I'll put it in with my batch of Embdens when they arrive. I had it in a big brooder on its own and all it did was cheep. Now its got some company its a bit quieter (but not much).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »
Oh, what a star you are!  You must post pictures for us.  Hope it continues to do well.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:18:20 am »
Well done you, hope you have a happy ending.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:24:08 am »
Well done you, how nice :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:46:44 pm »
What a nice story. So pleased you stopped to help the gosling......it would not have stood a chance with the artic looming down on it.  I hope it makes a full recovery.

Some years ago, a lovely wild goose landed here at the farm.  She made her home in the old goose shed and lived happily with the hens.  One day she disappeared, but re appeared the following day.  Later found out some local boys had picked her up, taken her to the village butchers and tried to sell her.  Butcher, realising she was a pet, made the boys fetch her back.

Unfortunately, a few years later, some wild  geese went over, we are near reservoirs and lakes, so plenty about.  Dorcas, felt the call of the wild and disappeared into the sunset with her new friends.  We were all very sad,  but in a way, happy she was with her own kind.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS