Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ancillary enjoyment question.  (Read 3073 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Ancillary enjoyment question.
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:58:18 am »
We have a garage / workshop that was granted planning in 2008 one of the clauses was that the use was for ancillary use to the dwelling. I think its a good thing that the council added in the work ancillary, by definition it means I can use it in connection with my barn i.e the barn has 1 bed room thus I am intending to use the garage as a guest annex.
When it was built it was constructed with this in mind so the slab and walls were all insulated. I am at the point of fitting it out with a small kitchen and bathroom wood burner and central heating. The thing that worries me is I am now at the point I need to get building control involved because of the alterations.
However I am worried that this might then red flag the LA who might try to stop me.
What are your thoughts on ancillary use buildings.  The garage is about 30m from the barn.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: Ancillary enjoyment question.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 01:34:29 pm »
If you contact building control do not be surprised to get a visit/enquires from planning
May cause problems if you add kitchen and bathroom council may look as it as a independent unit not ancillary use to existing
i believe building control is only enforceable for one year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:40:23 pm by mart6 »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 11:15:44 am »
If you believe ancillary use means you can use it in conjunction with your barn why are you worried about a visit?

IMO surely a barn is a barn - do you have permission for a bedroom in there? And a garage/workshop is just that.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:09:49 am »
It sounds like you are trying to circumvent planning - 'they' are always going to get annoyed with that.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:13:59 am »
Register the plot or building as a different company. Take them on in court.  If it fails it wont ruin everything just the idea.  But there are plenty more ideas yeah?

Bloody councils need a kick in the arse sometimes - they really dont know what good for em.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 01:40:56 pm »
The rules changed in 2015 most people quote 95 GPDO rules wich have now been updated
Worth a read and latest info
  :huff:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

See section E  _ page 39
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:43:08 pm by mart6 »

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 07:44:58 am »
I called the council for clarification, as the building was granted ancillary this is the key word use. I can do any thing in that building what I would normally do in my barn. I cannot however sell of the building as a separate home which is not my intention.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS