Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Interesting gift idea  (Read 3791 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Interesting gift idea
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:56:43 pm »
If you feel like doing something for someone else, have a look at the website of KIVA. It's a way of lending money - $25 at a time - to entrepreneurs in developing countries. Dan's done it for ages and he gave me a $50 gift voucher. So I've lent $25 to a bloke in Uganda to invest in mulch for his banana plantation and $25 to a woman in Uganda to buy goats for her business. I will be repaid and then I can reinvest in more businesses.

As I say, you can buy gift vouchers - a good idea when you don't know what to buy for the man (woman or child) who ha everything.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: Interesting gift idea
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:16:56 am »
What a great Idea Rosemary  ;D and as its not anywhere near my birthday I may just treat myself to a gift or two of this.  :)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 06:35:36 am »
A fantastic idea Rosemary.  What a great gift.   :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56:09 am »
Thank Dan - I'd never heard of it.

I got two emails this morning saying that both my folk now have their full loans and I'll get updates on how they are doing.

The hardest bit is deciding who to back. I think KIVA may form the basis of my Christmas gift shopping list this year!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:08:57 am »
Now there's a thing Rosemary Whilst I know what to buy a chap that has every thing.Do you know what to buy a girl that's got every thing?
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »
i am investing several thousand pounds in a young nigerian man who is hte son of the late president who was killed and left millions of dollars in a swiss bank account, if I can pay the transaction fees, I get $500k

I can't wait!

anyway, sorry rosemary, that sounds like an excellent idea - i might even give it a go myself

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:21 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

sandy

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:37:23 am »
And I thought he wrote that E Mail just to me!!!!!!

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:20:41 am »
damn i thought i was the ' specially selected one' and was just about to hand over my bank details ::) :wave:

sandy

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 11:19:22 pm »
Wow...yet someone else wanting to give ME a gift of ££££'s ::) could not resist posting this one, I would love to fill it in with a pretend name etc

[quote
Bills & Exchange manager
Banque De L'Habitat Au Burkina Faso (BHBF)
Burkina-Faso West Africa.

(PRIVATE/CONFIDENTIAL).
I am Mr.Solomon Elih,Staff of Banque De L'Habitat Au (BHBF) in Burkina faso. I would like you to indicate your interest to receive the transfer of US$12.5 Million Dollars. I will like you to stand as the next of kin to my late client whose account is presently dormant for claims. Please once you are interested kindly send me the following details information below,

1.Your.Full Name:-------------------------------------------
2.Your.Resident Address:------------------------------------
3.Your.Private Phone:----------------------------------
4.Your.Country And City:-----------------------
5.Your.Occupation:----------------------------
6.Your.Age:----------------------------------

Regards,
Mr.Solomon Elih.
+2267614 00 02

DEAR FRIEND CALL ME.][/quote]

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 07:57:28 am »
How the L do you find em' Sandy? Are there people about who is stupid enough to fill it in? ??? ;D ;D ;D all the way to the bank? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 07:18:30 pm »
I had of these too the other day.  From a Nigerian girl whose father had banked 6.5 million dollars just before he was excecuted, andI could have as much as I wanted.  Really annoys me as vulnerable people could easily be taken in.

sandy

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 07:25:36 pm »
Some years ago I had a more realistic one and part of me was a bit interested, they mentioned my married name and then I thought, there are loads of relations in my ex husbands family, they would be much more eligible than me, it even had the address of a solicitor and I rang the name I found and it was a proper office but someone had used the address to give some credibility.....that certainly was the best one. We also get booking scams, one lady wanted to book the whole place for 10 nights for her wedding next year and this was last year and of course she wanted to pay some money up front..thats how they get you, then they cancell, you pay the money back but it has never gone into your account!!!! The women said she used to live around here and often wondered what this building was, well, it looks like a house anyway so I doubt she even knew the area. I also keep thinking about all those vulnerable people who do get scammed....I should love to get my own back on a scammer one day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS