Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grassroots / Shetland Cattle Herd Book Society 2  (Read 3517 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Grassroots / Shetland Cattle Herd Book Society 2
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:51:41 pm »
I'm asking members of SCHBS for some support here.

Some of you may be aware of, and indeed may use in other context, the "Grassroots" software for managing pedigree breed data, herd books etc. It's a well established system used by a wide range of breed societies already. It also has two additional elements - Pedeweb, which allows breeders to update their own information via the internet - and Geneped, which allows very detailed analysis of kinship data, which is of particular use to breeds that are numerically very small.

Some months ago, I was delighted to read in "The Ark", the RBST's magazine, that SCHBS had been awarded a grant by RBST to purchase "Grassroots". Last month, I was very disappointed to learn that, for undisclosed reasons, SCHBS had decided NOT to take up the grant to buy "Grassroots" but planned to submit a revised bid for funding to upgrade the existing database, which has some significant shortcomings.

I am now given to understand that RBST has asked SCHBS to reconsider the purchase of the "Grassroots" system and that this will be considered at a meeting of the SCHBS Management Council next week (although I do not know the exact date).

Despite the fact that the SCHBS Management Council has not seen fit to inform members at any stage of the process - application, award, rejection, revised bid and reconsideration - or ask for our views, I believe as members, we have a right to make our views known and to support those on the Council who favour the introduction of "Grassroots". My own view, as you might have guessed, is pro Grassroots.

I am therefore asking members of SCHBS who are members of THIS forum to contact SCHBS and make your views known, regardless of which option you favour.

The email address for the Society is Shetlandschbs@aol.com and the email address for the President of the Society, Eleanor Arthur, is CREADYKNOWE@GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

This is an important issue for the future wellbeing of the breed, IMHO

The link below if to the website of Grassroots, simply for information.

http://www.grassroots.co.uk

Border Lady

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Grassroots / Shetland Cattle Herd Book Society 2
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:24:03 am »
We have been reading with interest the discussion on constitution and availability of papers and it would appear that the SCHBS need to add an "S" to the title - to create the Secret Shetland Cattle Herd Book  Society!

Likewise  we have not seen copies of the constitution but I would wager that it is un-constitutional  for paid up members of any Society not to receive copies of Minutes, Agendas,Accounts etc.  :rant: :rant:

As a potential regular visitor to the Shetland Isles as we expand our numbers we would like to be made aware of meeting dates in order that we may attend to make our views clear.
We shall be contacting the Secret Shetland Catlle Herd Book Society to add weight to the previous discussions!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:29:46 am »

Likewise  we have not seen copies of the constitution but I would wager that it is un-constitutional  for paid up members of any Society not to receive copies of Minutes, Agendas,Accounts etc.  :rant: :rant:

The constitution is at the back of the Herd Book. If you don't have a Herd Book, I can email the constitution to you.

Actually, there is nothing in the Constitution about telling members about Council meetings and the minutes are "available to view in the Minute Book". In Shetland.

We do get the accounts as part of the draft AGM minutes that are sent out in May usually, after the AGM in April. Although at the last AGM it was unanimously agreed to move the AGM to early March, putting it at odds with the nomination of Council members.

I guess years of working in local government and being too strictly potty trained has given me an interest in things like constitutions butthey are the rules by which organisations operate and they shoudl be fit for purpose and then adhered to.

Border Lady

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:10:16 pm »
Please could you email us a copy of the Constitution Rosemary and any other relevant info. We were never sent the Herd Book when we joined the SCHBS.

Many Thanks

Nicki

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 06:44:55 pm »
Done.

Border Lady

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 07:49:13 am »
Thanks Rosemary, interesting bed time reading!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS