Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Petrol chain-saw for occasional use by lady user.  (Read 8266 times)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Petrol chain-saw for occasional use by lady user.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 09:02:18 pm »
How about upgrading your ten year old aldi for a nice new electric stihl and some spare chains so you can swap when one becomes blunt. Then send them in for sharpening to your local dealer.

They are very capable and you will find yourself being able to cut much more wood. Especially with a sharp chain and I suggest using proper oil, it's not that dear and lasts ages.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:12:02 pm by stufe35 »

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 11:41:34 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion...I've made no decision yet as it's such a mild winter and oil is so cheap..so I'm allowing wood to accumulate in the barn.I get quite protective about my logs and do begrudge burning decent wood....prefering to save it for harder winters maybe to come.
I've discounted the stihl oil as don' t really see me using it enough.Even considered the lithuim battery ones...watched videos on u tube (usually Americans claiming they can cut anything) but can't believe they can be powerful enough...although my hedge cutter has been a revelation.(I use to severer the wire with the previous electric hedge cutter!!)
I have resolved to try and get out and about in the New Year
and find somewhere that sells the stihl electric..

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 08:10:45 am »
Julie,

Old oil is bad on  3 counts.

1. It isn't designed to do what your using it for so your chain will overheat and blunt faster.(and be more likely to snap and cause you injury)
2. It is carcinogenic- and full of all sorts of other nasties- and remember its flying out of the back of the saw with the saw dust all over you and your clothes.
3. Proper chainsaw oil is biodegradable so breaks down in the ground- old oil isn't- it contaminates the ground.

Overall old oil is a false economy and a danger to your health and your safety and the environment.

I urge you to buy yourself some proper chainsaw oil, --I live on a 10 acre small holding and have the smallest petrol stihl saw --- I do the usual bit of pruning , cutting up the odd tree or branch that falls, in all I do enough cutting to keep our log burner going all winter, and I don't get through a 5 litre can in a year.  Its really not an expensive hobby.

Heres a link to the stihl electric chain saw  http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws-and-Telescopic-Pole-Pruners/Electric-chainsaws/22287-150/MSE-170-C-BQ.aspx

There is a more powerful model too, you'll find it on the same site.

Hope this helps.

I also have one of these...it turns logging with a chain saw into a much easier safer operation...would work really well with an electric saw. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhyas-Chain-Saw-Mounted-Sawhorse-Horse-Mount-Holder-Log-Wood-Trestle/351485589687?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33843%26meid%3D2ca8e76162a0468db00da4d751158e8b%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D221964932184
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:05:55 am by stufe35 »

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 02:41:27 pm »
I probably have some chain saw oil somewhere...always get mixed up between the oil for the petrol lawn-mower/and chainsaws.The labelling of these oils in B Q is never very specific.
It's just my old electric chainsaw leaked oil ...and someone gave me a load of old oil which I use to keep it topped up with. I..(.I've even also used it to put on the bottoms of fence posts...)....but  I won't anymore...

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 11:06:25 pm »
My mum came over today to show me her battery electric stihl - to be honest it was awesome - battery lasts about half an hour. 

Unlike a petrol chainsaw it doesnt 'wobble' off down the yard when you put it down.  Be great for a bit of 'guerilla' chainsawing - cleaning up after loggers have been in as its so quiet.

The blade is really thin, its light, its very torque'y',

I was very impressed - but they are about £600 :(

Barry

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 10:20:01 pm »
Hmmmmmm.......  Half an hour isn't very long to clear a fallen tree, even a small one. And you can get a good petrol chainsaw for £600.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 05:02:24 pm »
I was on about electric mains powered ones which are a lot less than £600 and don't have the battery time issue.

Obviously only any good if the timbers near a power supply.....I didn't really need to mention that did I !

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 05:25:01 pm »
I am thinking about getting myself a Mountfield Freedom48 Cordless 16" chainsaw. About £150, plus another £150 for a 4Ah battery (but you can use that in their other Freedom48 tools)

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 10:39:04 pm »
Although I have a husky chainsaw, I'm a recent convert to Oregon "accessories". I like my "powersharp" (just google it) a lot more than I like sharpening chains by hand and I love my easycut saw horse, what a time saver. I certainly don't sharpen the chain every tank full! Good lord, I'd be spending more time sharpening than cutting. As long as you can avoid the mud and are lucky to miss any nails, I can log around 3+ cubes of hardwood between sharpening. The newer pico chains on the small chainsaws are also great, much less chip to clean up.

And (ahem) after almost 35 years of using a chainsaw I've finally bought some proper (Oregon!) chainsaw trousers. I find that I'd getting so much wiser with age that I only need 20 or so people tell me I'm a complete idiot before I get the message :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS