Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Petrol chain-saw for occasional use by lady user.  (Read 8265 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Petrol chain-saw for occasional use by lady user.
« on: November 19, 2015, 06:46:46 pm »
I am quite fed up with giving away good wood because I haven't got a petrol chain-saw and end up by offering free logs for clearing up fallen trees etc. I' ve got an electric chainsaw but it can't cope with a lot of seasoned wood I have.) Friends (including a health and safety inspector) keep telling me petrol chainsaws are dangerous and not to be used by 50plus ladies .
So if I bought a good "still"....would I have enough "umph "to start it. I have resorted to a key start for my petrol lawnmower..Would they be too heavy for me to handle?
Can anyone recommend an  electric chainsaw which would cut oak logs easily.....?
It's only for occasional use. Storing the logs at the moment because oil is so cheap.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Petrol chain-saw for occasional use by lady user.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:03:18 pm »
Long answer as lots to think about.
A petrol chainsaw is a dangerous beast without appropriate training and safety gear.
Even a lightweight stihl will struggle with seasoned oak, but will munch through it green so it needs logging as soon as it falls and then seasoning in smaller pieces.
An Ms211 will cost around 380quid and can be started with 2 pulls easily... Whether 50 year old woman easy I don't know as I'm a 39 year-old bloke but it is by far the easiest of all my petrol tools to start...

In short would it do the job...Yes.
Would I recommend you did it, no not without proper training...

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:24:36 pm »
My oak is about 4 years old so that accounts for the electric chainsaw not being able to make any impression.
Sometimes we get contractors cutting trees down for the electricity poles by us and they are always willing to cut things down as a one off.....but logging is another matter.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 10:52:16 pm »
My big stihl saw has a decompression button on it so it's actually easy to start despite the engine size...just quite heavy to lift :roflanim: .

But as someone who had a near miss this year when i was too lazy to go put the PPE on for just one cut (as in it shredded the jeans but didn't mark me) I'm a  convert to wearing the full kits for any job however quick or easy.

I also did a review early this year on a cheap Aldi chainsaw..it's light, easy to start, has a low kickback bar on it and quite recommended except I have had the chain tensioner loosen itself once and the chain come off and get chewed (took some filing of burs to recover it). Whether thats a one-off incident only time will tell.

The other thing is you need sharp chains and some folk have trouble leeping them sharp and even

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 11:37:47 pm »
I think my electric is from Aldi..about 10 yrs old ..always leaking oil but only put old oil in it anyway.The chains do loosen... last year had a new chain put on it done at our local Telford Farm Machinery store...it cost £20 ...but soon wore down.I have got a set of those sharpening blades...never really used them.
Just wondered if thats as good as it gets?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 07:57:31 am »
If your not keeping the chain properly sharp it doesn't matter what saw you have it won't work.

For general logging the chain needs sharpening after even as little as an hours use...

For Felling it's sharpened every time I fill the fuel tank so 30-40minutes of run time...

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 09:40:36 am »
Any sharp petrol saw that runs is no doubt fine for your purposes. I'm a lightweight (10st) and use lightweight saws - they work fine. I have two small saws one Stihl and a toolstation knock off, plus a big brutal Husquvana. I never use the Husquvana tbh! My favourite saw is the toolstation one. It is the lightest and starts easily enough.

Its a bit of a knack getting them sharp so you need to look into that and also, I find they start and run much happier with the 2-stroke mix on the slightly light side (ready to be shot down on that one!). No one will disagree I am sure that full PPE must be worn, I've a big pair of metal boots and chainsaw trousers etc you get used to wearing them

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 10:10:42 am »
Thanks for all the advice.Have checked U tube and plenty of advice on sharpening my electric chainsaw.Had a mature pampas tree come down in my garden few days ago and  I need to sort out.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 10:55:51 am »
When i first bought this farm I also watched a lot of utube vids on chaisaws and sharpening. It takes practice but best is to watch the proper tree guys do it.. they keep the process simple and quick.
A good bench vice makes it easier for a beginner and importantly thos chainsaw files don't last many sharpenings at all. Also if both sides of the chai aren't kept even then the saw will cut at an angle..don't fight the angle it cuts at - it just makes everything tae longer.
You should have soemwhere local to get the chain resharpened after a few DIY goes if it's really getting messed up..or can end by post to soemwhere like http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/
A spare chain can save time too if you really ground the saw or hit fence wire/ stone in a trunk.
If nothing else a spare new chain is a good way of judging how well you did your own sharpening.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 09:52:30 am »
If its for occasional use its not worth the expense purchasing a decent saw , fueling and maintaining it getting the PPE and learning how to use it properly. Get a tree surgeon or some one experienced with good kit  to cut the stuff up, cheaper and quicker IMO.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 06:16:25 pm »
wondering how the Ladies Land Army in the 2ND WW managed to cut trees down.....what kind of equipment did they have then?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 07:13:29 pm »
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205200070
In case anyone wanted to know how they cut down trees.....
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »
stihl MS818 with "ergo start" it's a small saw, but i have been amazed with what i have felled and logged with it.  Ergo start VERY easy to start.  My 5 year old would have the pull to start it, (don't worry, i won't let her use it until she is at least 6  ;D )

The key is a sharp chain.  I buy new rather the sharper old ones, chains are £12 online.

Goes without saying, get proper trousers, gloves, boots an hard hat with visor and ear defenders.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 07:39:56 pm »
Can I have your old ones?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »
Well I'm 50 something and only 5ft 3ins and I manage a small stihl petrol chainsaw quite easily. In fact I love it! ;D  It goes through logs and small trees like a hot knife through butter. It does take me a few goes to get it started but it's not really a problem. I did a one day course when I first got it which was well worth the money. Needless to say PPE is a must.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS