Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shipping containers and planning permission  (Read 8008 times)

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Shipping containers and planning permission
« on: November 18, 2015, 03:50:03 pm »
Would you class this as a field shelter

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:07:02 pm by mart6 »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Shipping containers and planning permission
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »
Yes, mobile, very clever!

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:05:46 pm »
Yes, mobile, very clever!

Guy on ebay selling them £3k, but been offered insulated 40ft container for £1100 and was going to convert it myself and use half of another as hay store.
Thought its a good idea myself

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:27:16 pm »
In short - no. 

And any planner with a rod in his bum would say the same.

Wing it for a biscuit.  Lovely setup.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 07:28:55 pm »
For a start is has stable doors and will not be classed as a shelter - but as a pony barn.?

Just dont ask first - do it.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:21:35 pm »
For a start is has stable doors and will not be classed as a shelter - but as a pony barn.?

For goats and they need a door to keep draught and foxes out , can even go badger and tb route

Everyone i know has doors on movable field shelters as long as they move council seem to overlook it, having said that only takes one

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 02:26:01 pm »
It matters not that it has doors ,windows fitted bathroom or full on steam room .What matters is that it's mobile and a shipping container is definitely mobile ...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 11:30:46 pm »
Mobile?  Didn't you see the Grand Designs programme where an Irish chap made a home out of two of them? One balanced at right angles on top of the  other.  Needed a mahoosive crane to move them !
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 02:50:39 am »
It might be moveable, but will it be mobile? 
I'm assuming it is not intended to move the container periodically;  in which case planners will almost consider it to be a fixed structure even if it is theoretically moveable.  (I believe planners are increasingly defining "mobile" as something that is actually moved every 30 days or so, but don't quote me on that.)
It might be permissible under permitted development rights (depending on your circumstances).  If not and you take the risk, be prepared for planning officer knocking on your door if anyone should ever complain about the container.  You should not assume, automatically, that a theoretically moveable structure is beyond planning approval requirements.   Hope all goes well for you whatever route you choose.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 10:15:56 am »
You'll find that planning officers will look at the structure to see if it was designed to be mobile in it's own right i.e is it on skids or wheels? If it needs to be loaded onto a vehicle to move it then it's not considered to be 'mobile'.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 10:27:19 am »
You'll find that planning officers will look at the structure to see if it was designed to be mobile in it's own right i.e is it on skids or wheels? If it needs to be loaded onto a vehicle to move it then it's not considered to be 'mobile'.

Mate had a large field shelter and i mean large , not something i would of called mobile all he did was lift it place round fence posts under it and pulled it to new position.

Would imagine it would be easy to do with a strong/rigid container even a 40 foot one.
Could still be moved with fork lift/crane so it would not need to be loaded on to anything

Scorzeze

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 01:40:34 pm »
Who is the bloke selling them on ebay?

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:56:47 pm by mart6 »

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 04:43:56 pm »

Have to say after working my way through 1500+ enforcement notice appeals, its a bag of nails.
Anyone that has a field shelter would be advised to move it at least every 10 months and take  dated photos and videos.

Seen a couple of appeals where mobile shelters have been classed as buildings.
One stood out, was big mobile shelter on metal skids with towing eyes -20 foot x 12  guy had photos even video of it being moved.
But council had evidence that it had not been moved  in a year , so planning inspector classed it as a building that needed planning permission.
Even said it was anchord to the floor with its own weight >:(

Some councils are ruthless and some inspectors differ on opinions
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:46:10 pm by mart6 »

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 10:55:39 pm »
We have small decking areas to put our yurts on in the summer - it a licensed campsite field.

We take our yurts down out of holiday season (cos they would blow away) - council said the bases were a permanent structure.

Its like - its a bit of wood mate - what do you want me to do 'take the screws out, call it a pile of wood, leave it there in a hedge till next year, screw it back together?'

Na - actually sir they are areas for feeding lambs - we put the creep feeders on top and it stops them getting muddy feet ;)

I wish they would make planning law a little bit more uniform and accessible, but I spose certain places and spaces require slightly different ideas.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS