Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sickening sheep  (Read 10967 times)

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Sickening sheep
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:42:01 pm »
I am sodding sick of these sheep.
I am sick of them being a nightmare to bring in for any treatment.
I am sick of them 'baa-ing' at me in amusement as I drown myself in wormer and slip in sh*t.
I am sick of never even getting to watch my expensive grasscutters because they hide.
I am sick of arguing with OH over different tactics for looking after them.
And now I'm sick of the tups colour having come out and not being able to catch him because he's busy mounting every furry mammal within sight.

I think I may give up  >:( >:( >:(

Anyone want to buy any horrible herdwicks?  :roflanim:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Sickening sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:06:17 pm »
Just wait until lambing time, then you'll find it'll all have been worth it :).

Life would be boring if it wasn't hard sometimes :D.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 02:29:41 pm »
Just wait until lambing time, then you'll find it'll all have been worth it :).

Life would be boring if it wasn't hard sometimes :D.

:fc: hope so Foobar - don't know what I'll do if they have any issues lambing - they'd still escape me if they were having elephants!  :D

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »
I'm sure they will tame up over winter - get out their daily to dish out some hay or grub and they will get more used to you.  Make sure you call them over when you bring the food out so they get used to coming when you call.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 03:04:17 pm »
The only thing you'll probably need for lambing Herdwicks is a pair of binoculars. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 03:05:45 pm »
Yeah, binocs are a wise investment for any outdoor lambing, not just herdwicks.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 03:53:19 pm »
I'm sure they will tame up over winter - get out their daily to dish out some hay or grub and they will get more used to you.  Make sure you call them over when you bring the food out so they get used to coming when you call.

Tried that tactic for 3 years - no success!

Binoculars and mint sauce at the ready  :hungry:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:31:12 pm »
Winter is not the best time to love your sheep.

Seriously, if you're fed up with them, then sell them on, have a break in the sun then get a different breed which behaves itself and suits your system better.  I see no reason to make yourself miserable just because you think you ought to be able to manage the Herdwicks.

But if you love them really, at least you've kept your sense of humour  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

I agree about not worrying unduly about lambing. The wilder the sheep the less she's going to appreciate your help, so leave her to it.   If she has a real problem she'll go down and you can sneak up on her from behind.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 07:56:05 pm »
 :roflanim:Love it Sophie!     If deep down you don't really love them .... sell up and get some Zwartbles!    Always happy to see you, even in the dark with a headtorch  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 08:06:30 pm »
I live in Herdwick country. My sheep and tup (not Herdwicks) are in a neighbour's field whilst he gets a few of his mule sheep tupped. A week ago two Herdwicks got themselves into the field and got themselves tupped by the Suffolk. All my sheep come running when they hear the car. The Herdwicks hardly raise their head.

I know what you mean SY about keeping something which clearly doesn't need to interact with you but these are a Fell breed and survive without seeing a shepherd from one day to the next and perfectly well for most of their life. They don't need feed except in the harshest of conditions so the buckets are meaningless.

What breed would you swap them for?

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 07:58:12 am »
But if you love them really, at least you've kept your sense of humour  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Don't think there's too much love lost on them anymore except on my favourite ewe - I think my humour is amusement at my own exasperation!  :D

Think the next time I bring them in after lambing they can go straight on the trailer, especially the one that takes delight in headbutting me every time I get near her!  :roflanim:

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 08:01:50 am »

I know what you mean SY about keeping something which clearly doesn't need to interact with you but these are a Fell breed and survive without seeing a shepherd from one day to the next and perfectly well for most of their life. They don't need feed except in the harshest of conditions so the buckets are meaningless.

What breed would you swap them for?

Couldn't agree more about feed - brought them in the other week and was thinking about moving them onto fresh land because the field looked poor and a bit bald and they were all looking very tubby when I tipped them!

By and large I don't do anything with them other than the basic husbandry, they look after themselves very well - but catching them without a dog is nigh on impossible!

What breed would I swap for? Herefords right now!  :roflanim: Think I am well and truly off sheep!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 08:36:44 am »
My chum bought Portlands. Has the same issues. Glad you've kept your sense of humour. His is going rapidly. It's supposed to be fun. I suggested he sell them on, too.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 08:42:41 am »
When you move to Cumbria they will probably take off to the first Fell and you wont see them again!

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 08:46:21 am »
Sounds like your going through what we all do from time to time, although maybe your problem is a bit more terminal.
I think it might be really worth considering what you want from the sheep and whether there is a better breed for your set up and situation.

I have gone from having mostly Charolais and Suffolk mules and a few ryelands to now reducing the numbers of charolais, selling off all the suffolks and increasing the numbers on the ryelands.

I was having to spend far too much time on them, fencing had to be gazelle proof and the suffolks were just a pain at lambing.

Its really about what you want from them, maybe worth having a look around at sales and if you know any others with different breeds you could go visit?

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS