Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sickening sheep  (Read 10968 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Sickening sheep
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 08:53:42 am »
Get some lovely golden Guernsey goats. They are always pleased to see you :goat:

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 09:02:54 am »
When you move to Cumbria they will probably take off to the first Fell and you wont see them again!

And obviously I will make a massive effort to try and bring them back if they do!  :innocent:

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 09:08:46 am »
Sounds like your going through what we all do from time to time, although maybe your problem is a bit more terminal.
I think it might be really worth considering what you want from the sheep and whether there is a better breed for your set up and situation.

I think I've decided that the better breed for me is cattle  ;D Will see lambing through, then first opportunity I get they can pack their fleeces and get to market!

Feel like I've failed them and myself, but having done battle for more than three years I think their trial period may well and truly be over!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 10:56:46 am »
As a nice hardy breed why not try swaledale? According yo a lot of farmers easy to handle and they do come for the bucket. Also they were at one point kept by everyone in the north of England. Plus they're hardy and can survive in harsh weather, just make sure you buy them from someone who breeds hardy ones.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 11:39:58 pm »
Swales - I have one. Can't get near it. And I rescued it so you would think it could be more grateful!

SY - don't worry we still have Shepherds Meets - annual gatherings for handing back strays!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 08:15:11 am »
Try a Down breed - very docile, some to an absurd degree.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 09:36:55 am »
Get some lleyns!  Once they're trained to the bucket, they ll come runnin g at the drop of a bucket handle lol

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 10:00:55 am »
Don't get Lleyns, get rid of the sheep you have.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 10:03:38 am »

Couldn't agree more! My neighbours ones are lovely, and they don't leap hurdles like my Jacobs...
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 10:46:12 am »

Couldn't agree more! My neighbours ones are lovely, and they don't leap hurdles like my Jacobs...

And to think I passed some Hampshires up for these bloody Herdwicks  ::)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 03:11:07 pm »
I know I will have warned you...  :innocent:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 04:59:43 pm »
What's wrong with lleyns ?  :innocent:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 07:36:30 pm »
Lleyns are one of the best breeds in the UK.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 09:56:07 pm »
Lleyns can be as flighty as herdwicks!  Get some Texels - OK not popular with smallholders because they are not rare - but they are so docile and will come to a bucket with nothing in it after 6 months of not ever having been fed from a bucket. I can feed several of ours from my hand, have known them to put themselves in the barn into a pen and lamb by themselves and be very proud of themselves in the morning!

PS remember rare breeds are rare for a reason!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 10:36:10 pm »
I have lleyns, granted the odd one or two are flighty, but the rest all come to the bucket, in fact they badger me for food when they hear a rustle of a feed bag or bucket. It really depends on what breeder you buy them from. Rare breeds granted are not for everyone, but the reasons why they're rare is because they're not what the market wants, in other words they're not fast growers and tend to be on the flighty side, but hey so are welsh sheep. Its really what will suit your situation and also what you really like. I hope you can sell the herdwicks and keep us updated?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:37:43 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS