Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg production down  (Read 2950 times)

NorthWestPoultry.co.uk

• Joined Mar 2010
  • cumbria
  • www.northwestpoultry.co.uk
    • www. North West Poultry .co.uk
Egg production down
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »
hi guys i keep many breeds of chickens welsummer /wyandotte / barnevelder to name but a few .
last year i have a great amount of eggs
every year i sell my birds and get in new pullets but this year
i seem to have a real problem with the amount of eggs im getting say i have 8 welsummer im mebey only getting
2 eggs per day          5 barnevelder 1-2 eggs per day ?? until last week i fed theam massay layers pellets
but now im giving theam growers pellet as a freind advised me to give theam growers just to see if that help theam
pic up abit
all i can think is something is getting in and taking the eggs as im sure the hens are not eating theam
 any thoughts
Owner of North West Poultry
suppliers of rare breed day-old chicks and hatching eggs

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Egg production down
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:49:38 pm »
could be a rat or even magpie/crow getting into the eggs.  I'm getting 9 a day from 11 girls but today (gloomy weather ) that dropped to 5 I think.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:51:07 pm »
i just recently had the same problem, really frustrating aint it.
we dont have as many chucks as you, but ours went through the molt as normal during the winter
and then when the spring started to come in they went of laying.
at that time i went over everything in my head to see that i hadnt missed out on anything or done anything wrong.
i couldnt think of anything.
at that time i remember i was mixing corn with their pellets and for a couple of days i was just giving them corn as we had no layer pellets.
i quickly got a bag of layer pellets and stopped mixing in the corn, after a couple of days the egg production increased again.
i dont know if this is going to be of any help, or if i have just been waffling on.
hope it gets sorted out soon.
let us know ;)
langdon  :chook:
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »
I had that problem very suddenly at my last home.  Couldn't think what it could be - one day I just sat outside the run and watched, and a bloody big crow came down, landed in the run, blatantly walked up to the shed, came out with an egg in its beak, put it down between it's feet and flew off up into the trees.  I waited a few minutes longer and it came and did the same thing.  I then put in a cat flap and left a dog in the run that I knew was safe with the hens.  Did that a few days in a row, and production went back to normal!  It must have forgotten after that because it didn't come back.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:55:05 pm »
we have 200 birds the best we have had is 150 and thats onley for 2 weeks usualey get 100 feed is a nother as well as wether .we try not to have birds no older than 2 yeres and cock birds everey yere

NorthWestPoultry.co.uk

• Joined Mar 2010
  • cumbria
  • www.northwestpoultry.co.uk
    • www. North West Poultry .co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:08:09 pm »
thanks for responces guys i do reckon its something to do with crows/rats
 :-[
Owner of North West Poultry
suppliers of rare breed day-old chicks and hatching eggs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS