Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storm  (Read 10119 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Storm
« on: November 12, 2015, 02:23:56 pm »
Due to the first storm of winter due I got up early and cracked on with the outside chores. Stables were mucked out and ready to take in the ponies before i even had breakfast. Put on a big pan of leek and potato soup to cook and left bread proving before starting on inside jobs. The wind started getting up just after mid-day and the sky got dark so ponies inside, no point in me getting soaked if i don't have to. Chickens were all in when I went round, not daft. They must know what's coming. At least if the power goes off tonight we have fresh bread and soup that I can warm up on the gas camping stove.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Storm
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 02:35:36 pm »
the day here started off really nice, I thought oh great now I can get the fencing sorted. I milked earlier than usual so that i could spend the rest of the day fencing..... However after milking the weather turned its tables and bucketed it down. Now am indoors waiting for it to calm down, just being thankful that i have managed to put the ram in with his ewes a few days ago :relief:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:52:03 pm »
I've even made sure all the gadgets are fully charged because we're bound to get a power cut.

Thinking of everyone in the North and West who look as if they will catch it worst  :cold:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:56:28 pm »
Sunny start to the day here, too.  Now grey, windy and drizzling. .Living on a hilltop we're permanently battened down for gales and had some far-too-large trees taken down from near the farmhouse last Winter.  The previous owners ran the LPG in to lights in the living room, although they give off a rather sinister, hissing yellow light you can read a book if the electricity goes off.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 02:58:00 pm »
it's kicking off up here now but worst to hit at midnight. I've done as much as I can outside so filling the flasks, gas stoves out and torches charged.... :gloomy:
would relish the idea of an early night and reading my candle light but I have a dementia patient to attend at 10pm
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 03:01:37 pm »
I had to put my sun glasses on this morning when driving but unfortunately the sun didn't last for long  :gloomy:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 04:41:58 pm »
Wind is getting strong and the rain is lashing down now
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »
High wind, rain and hailstones here.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 05:21:13 pm »
I've brought the cows in. But I'm going dancing tonight come hell or high water  ;D

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »
I've brought the cows in. But I'm going dancing tonight come hell or high water  ;D

but what if the high water ruins your dancing shoes
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »

but what if the high water ruins your dancing shoes

Can you dance in your wellies?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 09:24:11 pm »
I was up west of Brechin today and apart from a couple of spitters, the rain didn't come to anything.  In fact quite a nice day all in all. Got cooler and a wee bit windy this avo but nothing too bad.  Looking west though the sky was black as coal. 
And sure enough driving home, when I got west of Forfar the monsoons started and continued until I got home.  Roads were flooded, fields washed out onto the roads - not pleasant at all.  And then to top it off I returned home to water pouring out of the field behind us, under the fence flooding the drive and washing away soil from the back fruit bed, and also at various other places throughout the garden.  2 hrs I was diverting the water and clearing out the channel that our farmer neighbour had dug previously to stop the water pouring into our property. 
And while doing so the wind took the duck house roof off and narrowly missed them  :relief:  Its been strapped back on for the night and fresh bedding has been put in.
Outcome - I was frozen, soaked to under garments and hacked off. But now sitting in front of the stove I feel much better.  (sorry had to have a little rant there  :rant:)

Best of luck folks in the main target zone.  I hope there is minimum damage caused.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 08:57:51 am »
Hope everyone survived the storm.

We have missed the worst, thankfully.

And I did go dancing and it was great fun. And I now know my promenade from my petronella  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 09:01:10 am »
Hope everyone survived the storm.

We have missed the worst, thankfully.

And I did go dancing and it was great fun. And I now know my promenade from my petronella  :thumbsup:

Watch out Strictly  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 09:06:03 am »
Watch out Strictly  ;D

;D It's Scottish Country Dancing, so I think Strictly is safe  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS