Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grey fergie  (Read 9834 times)

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
Grey fergie
« on: November 09, 2015, 01:41:22 pm »
Hi, can anyone suggest an easy cheap way (for a numpty without tools or skills) of adding weight to the front of a grey fergie? Have just purchased a rear bale spike which will change my life :excited: but she is far from stable and pulls wheelies!

Paul

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Grey fergie
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:06:10 am »
Get some 5 litre containers and fill with postmix?

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:09:32 am »
Put a foreloader on and add weights to it.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:12 pm »
Keep the fuel tank full

Fill the front tyres with water

Get the slightly bigger wheels/tyres of a 35 and fill with water (even heavier)

Get a set of wheels/tyres of the flotation type commonly used in the 80s, used on trailers muckspreaders etc..which are even bigger - and fill with water....just make sure you get ones with the right stud pattern and an offset that fits.  (shouldn't be too difficult ive seen plenty with them on)  (even heavier !)

A standard accessory for the fergie was front wheel weights which bolt  through the holes  in the wheels. They come up on eBay often enough.

You can also get front bumpers for the 35, I suspect they will fit a grey fergie too, you can then add standard weights, or have a tray made to add weights to.

Have some one make a front weight tray which bolts into the holes under the front,  or on to the front axle, might be cheaper then standard accessories which can now fetch a premium due to rarity

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:21:48 pm by stufe35 »

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 06:43:59 pm »
What size bales are you trying to lift, and how old is your Fergie?

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 11:46:23 am »
I thinks she's a te20 1954 and I'm lifting 4/5ft rounds

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:41:47 pm »
Stufe35 has pretty much summed it up.

I don't know if you have a handbook for your Fergie but I checked with mine and the maximum recommended load on the three point linkage for the later tractors like your was 1000lbs (as new). Bearing in mind that it is now over sixty years old and probably had a bit of wear and tear it might be better limited to something less than that. That said I wouldn't have expected 4-5ft round bales to reach that sort of weight, unless fairly wet;  I know it would be a challenge with my 1950 Fergie, so you might be pushing the limits a bit.

If you've got time it would be worth a trawl through the Grey Fergie Forum - 'www.greyfergieforum.com' where you can search for more info; I've had a lot of help from other members there on various TE20 tech problems.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 07:06:56 pm »
You are confusing lift capacity, and stability of the tractor.

The lift capacity of the rear arms is 1000lbs so that means the rear arms can lift 1000lbs. (Or could when new)

Whether or not the front wheels stay on the ground depends on how far that load is from the tractor.

Just like a seesaw a light person can lift a heavy person by being further away.

Paul clearly has no problem with the lift capacity of his tractor hydraulics as it is lifting the bales. The  problem is the front end is lifting , so to compensate more weight is needed up front. This was a recognised issue with certain standard implements manufactured by Ferguson; hence optional wheel weights were available, and other solutions will work as I mentioned in my earlier post.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:13:00 pm by stufe35 »

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 11:02:47 am »
Cheers guys! She doesn't have a problem lifting it at all it's just a case of keeping the front wheels on the ground. I'll look out ot for some wheel weights and speak to my blacksmith about knocking up some sort of weight basket.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:53:23 pm by Paulie »

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 07:37:15 pm »
Very impressed I love to see them still being put to good use.
She's a smart old girl, I've only driven a diesel one a few times, but they run like sewing machines and have bags of power I would love to add one to my fleet.

I have a tvo version, so manouvrable it too is as strong as an Ox on the hydraulics, I have a 35 which isn't so strong...one day I'll get round to a refurb to get them up to full strength.

Filling the front tyres with water is your cheap easy improvement. I note you already have the larger 35 tyres...I think perhaps they were standard on the later diesels.

I've never actually done it, but this would be my suggested method...

Jack the wheel up to just take the weight so you can spin  the wheel.
Remove the internals of the valve. (This is dead easy if you don't know how mention it and I'll tell you)
Spin the wheel so it is at the valve is at the top.
Rig up your hose pipe with a adaptor to fit the valve...you might just be able to hold the end of the hose on the valve.
Fill the tyre with water as much as you can...you'll have to keep taking the hose off to let pressurised air out, then fill a bit more.
Once as full as you can refit the valve internals.
Blow the tyre up with as normal with an air line to the correct pressure.
Eh voila !

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:39:01 pm by stufe35 »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 08:29:06 pm »
when I did this to my old 35 I used antifreeze mix , just though worth mentioning

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 06:56:38 am »
Good point !

Paulie

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 10:23:06 am »
Cheers stufe35 hadn't seen these despite saving search

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS