Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castrating male kids  (Read 9100 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Castrating male kids
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:16:55 pm »
I have just had my first male kid - what is the time scale for castration and is a definite?  I am raising the males for meat - not sure when they get sent off.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Castrating male kids
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:45:41 pm »
I never castrate  my male kids before 4 weeks.  I am sure if you are putting a rubber ring on the kid, it has to be done before he is 8 weeks old.
I left the pygmy boy a week longer, as he was very slow to mature!!  If yours is a meat goat he does need to be done, otherwise the billy goat smell could taint the meat.

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:00:16 am »
we do ours around 1 - 2 weeks but thats down to personal choice, we feed them first and then do it then by the time the next bottle is due they have fogotten all about it.

you do have to make sure its just his bits you have and no nipples are caught up in the band (i have heard of this happening with not so good results)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:02:15 am by chickenfeed »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:10:11 am »
I would normally always do between 1-2 weeks as well. Think of them as very similar to lambs being castrated really. There can be exceptions- I have one who we haven't done yet, as one hadn't "dropped" to begin with and he is now over 2 weeks. But the longer you leave it the bigger the shock it can be to his system.

Beth

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:32:01 am »
Just quoting DEFRA's Animal Welfare: Codes of recommendations for the welfare of livestock - Goats - "Under the Protection of Animals Acts 1911 to 1988 (in Scotland, the Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912 to 1988), it is an offence to castrate a goat, which has reached the age of 2 months without the use of an anaesthetic. Furthermore the use of a rubber ring or other device to restrict the flow of blood to the scrotum is only permitted without an anaesthetic if the device is applied during the first week of life. Under the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966, as amended, only a veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner may castrate a goat after it has reached the age of 2 months, or dehorn or disbud a goat, except the trimming of the insensitive tip of an ingrowing horn which, if left untreated, could cause pain or distress." Speaking to my vet and a local breeder I was also told before 7 days old - Different in England and Wales? I don't know
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:59:43 am »
Not sure about the difference in law in England - but like I say, at 4 weeks the little pygmys bits had not dropped, so left him a few days longer.
I do suppose the earlier the better, for the sake of the kid, but in the past, the billies I have had were not ready to be done in the first two weeks.  The only two I can recall doing at a week old were two strapping BA boys.

When little Barnie was done, he bleated a  couple of times, lay down, stood up, and tucked into his hay.  Quite often they lie down for a while to get over it, but Barnie seemed absolutely fine.  With a pygmy in particular,  you have to be so careful to make sure you have his bits, they are rather small.

I would suggest that if you are not confident yourself at doing it for the first time, get someone like a sheep keeper for example to do it, and they can show you exactly how to do it properly.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14:17 am »
As it was my first time, although technically I knew what to do - doing it was a who other mater - my vet was only too please to instruct me and do both boys for free in his lunch time - he was please I'd asked advice (we do have a lot of animals he sees!!)
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:07:10 am »
What a kind vet you have ....cannot see mine doing anything for free.  But you did the sensible thing, and I am sure it will give you confidence next time.  Its like ear tagging for the first time, its a worry about getting it right. There again, its a worry all the time never mind the first time, in case the animal leaps away at the crucial moment!!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 07:46:53 am »
I know what you mean - I've got orphan lambs at the moment and one needed 2 injections for five days - I found a good technique and did get brave so all was fine but not looking forward to tagging!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »
I have just had a new supply of ear tags arrive today, for the goat kids.  These ones seem awfully large, and will probably weigh the little goats ears down.  It says sheep tags, which is what it usually says, but they must have changed them or something. 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 09:41:06 pm »
Yes rubber ring has to be on within the first week, but I imagine pygmies are just too small at that age. The vet did my GG boy at the same time as disbudding while he was under. (and it seems to be free, the bill doesn't have it on...)

But I do my sheep regularly and don't like doing it at all ( I am not worried about causing them pain, used to give injections/ vaccinations all the time, but its more that I am worried about trapping the urethrea or whatever its called and they won't be able to pee,  but so far always managed it ok)

Some of the shetlands are slow to drop as well, but usually manage within the first week. They are all back up and drinking (and peeing) within the hour!

Re Tags: I think all the eartags now have space for the chip to go in for electronig id, even if you don't need it. I ordered red replacement tags for some of my older sheep and they have an opening where I think they would fit the chip. They are definitely bigger than the old ones!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:14:48 pm »
Ah, so they ARE bigger than the usual ones.  I am a bit doubtful of putting them in the goat kids ears yet - their ears are not very big.  I would rather not tag them, but with the TB problem, and likely visits from all sorts of authority, I know I will have to do it unfortunately.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 10:44:04 pm »
Roxy, I think you are fine until they are 6 months old, if they sleep inside a barn. Only have to be tagged earlier if/when they leave the farm.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 10:51:57 pm »
I hate eartags. We have at least 4 goats that should have 2, but currently don't have any, because they have had to be cut out due to infections. Horrendous things.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 11:08:23 pm »
Kids are indoors at night, and go out during the day if its nice.

I know what you mean Beth, goats being inquisitive and so active, get stuck in all sorts of places, and its easy to rip their tags out.  Two of the Franks must have ripped their tags out before we got them - their ears are not a pretty sight because of it.  I do have replacement tags from the ex owner, but not quite sure which bit of ear to put them in now, and so scared they will rip them again.

A lot of my goats will be here for life, why should they need tagging.  Fair enough I have a number for them as a means of identification, but whats the point of tagging them if they are staying with me.  I suppose the little kids should be tagged in both ears.  The last goats I took in have double tags, and they are red ones, like the lambs for slaughter wear!!  Its bad enough putting them through one ear being tagged, without doing it twice!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS