Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock Theft  (Read 9249 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Livestock Theft
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:54:59 am »
Some sad news which meakes you question the morals of some people and cannot help but show the extremely sad state of affairs in society.

A local man to me whom i drive past everyday to work and has signs outside of his house selling free range eggs, you can also see all of the chicken running around the allotments over the road (fenced in so Mrs Miggins Lettuces dont get eaten!!) anyway this old boy happens to go beating with my dad on the local shoot. Anyway apparently a couple of weeks ago he went out in the morning to one of the chicken houses which hold approxmately 100 hens and found their heads and all the birds had gone, seems a bit much for a normal predator, also one of the other allotment holders had a goat which met a simlar fate. now i am waiting for this story to be verified but have no reason to believe this is not true.

If this is indeed correct it just begs the question - What is going wrong with society? i mean who could even think this up?

We have also had a couple of visitors to our little patch of paradise, at the moment nothing has been stolen but cant help but think that is what is going to be next.. god i hope i am wrong. ???

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Livestock Theft
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:20 pm »
Thats awful - I can only imagine how the people who lost their livestock must feel. I know I would be hearbroken.  I never used to worry about such things happening, but hen theft is very common in some places, and I have to say it has crossed my mind that someone could take my animals and birds.  I too have a free range egg sign out by the gate.  I am fortunate in that there is a barn conversion across the lane from the field, which may deter thieves.  I also worry about my goats, especially the pygmy ones, which you could carry off under your arm!!

Its sad that people who have livestock cannot have them without the worry of something happening to them, but hopefully we have to be lucky and it never happen to us.

sandy

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:18:22 pm »
How horrid, I doubt it happened in farming communities years ago, if it did they would probably be soon identified and taken off to prison....I noticed one of my ancestors went to prison for poaching fish   :D NO!! not in a pan!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:13:06 pm »
Tell you what I think is wrong with modern society WP. THERE IS LITTLE OR NO DETERANT.A sound thrashing might help We had five boys and all of us went shopping on Saturday morning it was considered a treat.Each was allowed to choose a packet of sweets They did not stampede up the isles shouting and screaming I need a**** they stayed by the trolley and if Kath said Get a large box of Kellogg's to one of them the one asked did go and get one. My word Show us up like some do today and he  would be standing at the meal table over Saturday and Sunday.Please and thank you was always used in the appropriate place.Allow me to assure you a young child learns best when it is a young child not with the ASBO which none of them worry about.There is a pack of youths on the Nunny Estate where you cannot join if you have not a current ASBO one lad told me. ??? :o
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:31:13 pm »
How horrid, I doubt it happened in farming communities years ago, if it did they would probably be soon identified and taken off to prison....I noticed one of my ancestors went to prison for poaching fish   :D NO!! not in a pan!!!
  George is right, they wouldn't have gone to prison, Sandy, they'd have been identified and battered - and not with the fish either
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 04:53:05 pm »
I used to breed pheasants for local shoots  30 years ago.
 One dark, cold , night our dog was stood at the door growling , so I let him out and off he went to the the stock pheasant pens .
I heard a lot of shouting and growling and then yelping . The dog had taken a boot. By this time I was there and saw the bastards trying to nick my stock ,and could see which one had kicked my dog .
Well TSHTF ....the one who kicked my dog took the first pasting , as the other was in the pens and was stuck . The dog kicker ended up with a broken nose and cheek bone a couple of broken teeth and a few broken ribs ...oh and a broken leg for kicking the dog ....bastard.
 The other one got similar treatment although he didn't kick the dog so he at least walked away , all be it crying like a little baby .
They didn't get any pheasants !!!! Lost a fair few teeth ( I know they lost at least two as they were stuck in my right fist !!) , and were unable to do anything for a couple of weeks as they were in hospital !!!
 They never tried to take anything of mine again , nor did anyone else either !!!
Oh and the one who kicked the dog , still limps to this day ..... and calls me Mr Clarke when I see him , we get on fine now, and he has since told me , he never took anything again after that night . The other one moved on and I haven't heard of him since that time.
 The local bobby heard about what happened , and came and shook my hand and said thanks for sorting the bastards out !!! ah the good ole days eh ?

cheers

Russ

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:02:14 pm »
What do you think would happen today Russ? I think you would be surrounded by armed police arrested and hauled up before a magistrate fined and imprisoned for taking the law into your own hands then pay the swine thousands in compensation All for trying to steal YOUR goods. ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:17:06 pm »
yes I think you are right George !! I would the one in the wrong , but these days I would think well in for a penny !!! if I am going to get done for hitting him ...do the job properly and kick seven colours of crap out of them  !!! At least I would walk out of nick in one piece ...  ::)

Things have gone completely to pot these days . Nowdays they would say that they had a terrible childhood and  they used to get hit by their dad or some such crap.  Yeah yeah yeah !!! nick anything of mine and I catch you , you got problems !!!!!
The police are next to no good these days , not interested in helping people .  But there again I was brought up to look after myself, as no one else will  !!!  So I do .
 I still get stuff nicked , but it is by opportunists that don't know me , and if I caught them well !!! they would be out of business for a few  weeks at least. 

cheers

Russ

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:54:17 pm »
Russ - if you're ever looking to relocate I've got a spot earmarked in the corner of the field for you  ;)  ;D ;D ;D

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:29:41 pm »
I hade an experience about 6 years ago when i had planted about 30 small conifers along side  our fence so we would not be overlooked in a few years time when they grew, anyway we had just got Lily our dalmation pup and i watched her in the back garden and noticed that 4 of the newly planted trees  had been ripped out and chucked over our fence - well red rag to a bull that was and then i found 3 11/12 year olds skulking behind the garages with fresh mud stains on hands and clothes, so i quite firmly told them 'if i see you near my fence and trees again ill hang you by your feet and fecking well skin you!!' feeling triumphant but not entirely satisfied i decided to go down to the parents house and give them the same treatment, well talk about where do kids learn it from, the mum staggered to the door as if it had just fell out of bed and tried to deny it, so i gave her the same warning and told her where i lived in case her chicken s**t husband wanted to stop hiding behind the door and come and have a chat with me!!! and perhaps disclpine the shitester of a kid he had!!
Thankfully my OH was with me and ordered me back to the car before front doors were pulled of hinges etc etc, and on returning home i thought that i better inform the local bobby about this in case any more trees came flying.

Some time later he turned up and said he had been to this kids house and that i had threatened him with violence was this true, i triumphantly said 'yep, sure did' to which he looked and said now sire you know you cant say that but off the record i understand, poor bloke his hands were tied like everybody else who wants to live in a nice world. When we younger and used to drink in the town on a saturday night there would be about 20 of us hanging around till 2,3,4 in the morning but we never acted up or vandalised anything and also the local bobby used to sometimes come and be with us, one foot out of line and you would benefit from an almighty smack from the ear,, and god forbid mum & dad found out coz that meant another one!!

On a final note just been down and fed the pigs and we think we had some visitors the other day, but tonight the water has been turned off and the CCTv cameras have been turned and pointed to the floor, god knows what i will find in the morning but what can you do??

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:41:52 pm »
Impaling works good at putting people off !!!! Vlad the Impaler did it all the time ... ::) (Vlad was the real Dracula) .
You need a long wooden pole ,about 9 feet long , and about 3" dia.  Don't make the pointy end too sharp though !!! It needs to be a bit blunt so they only gradually slide down the pole once it has been inserted in the correct orifice and the pole planted upright !!!
 It may be a tad drastic ...but it will stop the little buggers  :o ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 08:21:35 pm »
About 4 years ago my son and his friend were accosted on their way home by a group of lads who beat his friend quite badly, even stamped on his head. This attack followed 6 months of these arseholes following the lads threatening them damaging our car/house etc. All incidents were reported to the police but they did squat. So following morning after the assault I see said lads at the bus stop so stopped the car down went the window and yes I threatened to  kill them if they came near my son again. We'd tried the tell the parents route about the problems but as you might guess they were too pissed to care. So anyway gets a knock on the door that night from the police.. Guess what I get a formal caution for giving a death threat to a minor.. Absolute madness what our society has come to. Too many bloody laws defending the criminals not the victims .

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 08:40:09 pm »
Winslowporker, I thought you were going to end your story with realising it had been the puppy!

Helencus your story is a perfect example with what is wrong with society.

I think everyone on here has a constant worry of their animals being stolen.  I know we do, but at the same time I don't want to live in Fort Knox and want my animals to enjoy as much freedom as we can give them.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 08:25:36 am »
wizard totally agree with you (for once) russ im putting your name forward for chief of police!  ;D

bamford6

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 08:55:26 am »
there is onley 1 thing i would do shoot them nothink else .iv alredey shot some 1 .i sold some birds to a person and that person came back at night and stolen the other 2 birds i let him get in front then shot him up the back side .it would off hurt

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS