Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poor little chick!  (Read 2627 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Poor little chick!
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:41:45 pm »
Sadly we lost 4 of our 5 Light Sussex pullets to a fox the night before last. I take full responsibility for not securing the nest box properly  :-[ :'(

As we only have the one left, I thought I might put her in with our black rocks but they've been bullying her a bit. I've got here in a separate run within their pen at the moment, letting her out with supervision. She's 9 weeks old and half the size of the blacks. :-\

Any suggestions? Should I keep her separately or try and integrate her?

Or...has anyone got any pullets for sale??  :chook:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Poor little chick!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:49:59 pm »
I think if you have her in where the others can see her and get used to her they should accept her. This is how I integrate my ducklings with the bigger group anyway and it has always worked. I hope all works out well.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:01:16 pm »
I agree with James.
I integrate my pullets in a mesh box inside the main chicken shed so they can all see eachother but there's a layer of mesh to keep the hens away.
Its about 3ft X 4ft X 5ft high so allows them  plenty of room for movement. The pullets also have their own little run at the back of the shed again safe from the full grown chooks.
I also have some pullets for sale. They're pure-bred Maran and very fit and healthy birds. They'll be £30 each at POL or less if you want them sooner (they're about 9 weeks now)

bernardine

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 04:29:00 pm »
if the hen is smaller they will pick on her .I found it took about 3 weeks to integrate new hens. Why dont you try some rescue hens they are so rewarding.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:34:42 pm »
Thanks guys - she was in the pen next to the black rocks, separated only by chicken wire so they are probably quite used to her. I'll keep going with what I've been doing and see how we go.

Sam - where are you and your pullets?

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:42 pm »
We're in Whitby, North Yorkshire

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:42:23 am »
Should have guessed that! Bit too far away from me!

I've put her out with the black rocks this morning and things are going OK so far. She has her little pen to retreat to if needed.

Thanks everyone for your help  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS