Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaving help please  (Read 4657 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Weaving help please
« on: October 29, 2015, 02:41:23 pm »
Can I weave a weft faced fabric with an aran weight yarn?

I have just done a sample of weft facing, with a different yarn, and like it so want to make a cushion for my sister for christmas which is weft faced.
The only yarn I can find in the colours I want is a knitting yarn in aran weight.  ???
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
Re: Weaving help please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:53:26 pm »
Yes, if the warp is thick it will be very thick, if the warp is a widely spaced cotton it will be fine

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 08:52:44 pm »
Thankyou winkhound  :thumbsup:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:19:16 pm »
Glad someone knew the answer, it was starting to bug me. :D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 09:53:03 pm »
Using a much thinner warp, widely spaced as winkhound says, but of any yarn will work. I'd recommend using the same type as the weft (wool on wool, acrylic on acrylic, etc) if you don't use cotton, to reduce the risk of uneven shrinkage.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:00:37 pm »
Lesley I am going to use a cotton warp but what exactly does widely spaced mean? I keep reading it but can' t find an explanation of how wide

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 11:39:12 pm »
Depending on the thickness of the warp, you could thread it at around six to the inch to use aran weight for a weft. I would wrap the cotton round a ruler so there are six threads covering once inch and see what it looks like but that should do it. If your reed is ten to the inch try it with five threads.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:19:12 am »
Lesley, I have been reading that you can try wrapping the warp and the weft around a ruler for a inch, leaving just a tiny gap between them and then however many times the warp wraps that is roughly what you should go with. I can't do it yet as the weft hasn't arrived.

My reed is 8. I only have 2 reeds 8 or 14, so both extremes. The 14 would definitely be too narrow.

Hmmm, maybe should think about getting another reed but they are so expensive.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 09:23:59 am »
I'm still very much a beginner, so calibrate my input accordingly!  I'm interested to understand more about it all myself, so am as much asking for comment/clarification as I am making suggestions.

1.  I have been taught that to determine ends per inch for a balanced weave, wrap for half an inch, use that as your ends per inch.  (Allows room for the weft threads to go in and out.)  Since you are wanting weft-facing, I am understanding that you need less ends per inch for the warp?  (And presumeably beat harder?)

2.  If you want more epi than your reed allows, you can double up ends in slots. Conversely, if your reed is finer, you can miss out slots.  (Provided there's room for the yarn to travel through the slots, of course.) 

Lesley is suggesting 6 epi with Aran weight, which I would think you would sley on your 8dpi reed 1-1-1-0-1-1-1-0, wouldn't you?  I assume the warp threads will even themselves out as you beat and the weft finds itself places between the warps, so you wouldn't get gaps where the empty slots were.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 04:35:46 pm »
I'm still very much a beginner, so calibrate my input accordingly!  I'm interested to understand more about it all myself, so am as much asking for comment/clarification as I am making suggestions.

1.  I have been taught that to determine ends per inch for a balanced weave, wrap for half an inch, use that as your ends per inch.  (Allows room for the weft threads to go in and out.)  Since you are wanting weft-facing, I am understanding that you need less ends per inch for the warp?  (And presumeably beat harder?)

2.  If you want more epi than your reed allows, you can double up ends in slots. Conversely, if your reed is finer, you can miss out slots.  (Provided there's room for the yarn to travel through the slots, of course.) 

Lesley is suggesting 6 epi with Aran weight, which I would think you would sley on your 8dpi reed 1-1-1-0-1-1-1-0, wouldn't you?  I assume the warp threads will even themselves out as you beat and the weft finds itself places between the warps, so you wouldn't get gaps where the empty slots were.

Yes, that last piece sounds right to me Sally.

I was at a weaving lesson today and did some double weave. Very interesting. Might do some more  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 07:47:03 pm »
I am very envious of you finding weaving classes.   Nothing structured around here, but a super teacher who will go anywhere with her Katie looms - just need to find a few others to make up a regular classroomful for her.

I got an 8-shaft precisely because I knew I would be wanting to do doubleweave   (And I like twills.)

I am working my way through Deb Chandler's book 'Learning to Weave' - doubleweave comes quite a bit later and I am chomping at the bit!  In fact, I am struggling to think of a project that isn't doubleweave!  lol.  (Not really, I expect I'll do tea towels next, as most people do, lol.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:19 am »

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

I love double weave as well. You can do so much with it. I'd love to have an eight shaft loom so I could do double weave in twill but will have to put up with my four shaft. Still lots I can do though. Once, I've cleared a route to my loom, that is, through all the fleeces.  :roflanim:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 07:06:30 am »
I've only got a 4 shaft, as do the rest of the group but we managed to do double weave on that. I am making a 'pocket' for my mini ipad. One side is yellow and the other side dark blue. 

I did have a problem when I went wrong, without realising, and closed the picket so had to take a few rows out. I am careful to check that I still have an opening after every few rows now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 10:24:15 am »
Oh, yes, you can do lovely doubleweave tabby on 4 shafts, it's just I like twills; you need 8 shafts to do doubleweave twill.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS