Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox attack on lamb  (Read 2933 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Fox attack on lamb
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:09:32 pm »
I had a rotten start to the day when I found a poorly lamb with several puncture wounds to head and badly swollen neck.  He is holding his head to one side and can't seem to lift it.  Gave antibiotics and vet tubed some food into him and gave anti-inflammatories. He seems slightly more perky tonight.

I noticed mum's udder looking red and lumpy and wondering if mastitis and if this made lamb poorly yesterday.  Milk seems to be running normal as I milked some off her thinking it might ease the pressure on udder.

I will get her some antibiotics but does anyone know if this will be a regular thing with this ewe and if I should cull her?  She had an overshot jaw and I didn't notice when she arrived.

Any ideas if the lamb will recover from this type of injury?  He was staggering a bit last night and I am annoyed with myself for not keeping him in as he was feeding and following mum.  He is starting to take a bit from bottle but it is slow and he hasn't had enough yet to see him through the night.

If that wasn't enough I came out tonight to find horse down choking on something however thankfully she seems ok and vet has given her medication.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: Fox attack on lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »
Poor you scotsgirl sounds like you've had a crap day. Can't offer any advice on sheep but I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:51:44 pm »
Hope both lamb and horse are fine. And you!

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:09:53 am »
hope you are all okay and little lamb recovers and survives.
i had one of mine bleating at the back door at 10pm so went out to see what he wanted. was all ok and just wanted a chat (as they do  :P)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:11:13 am »
Hi Scotsgirl.  Hope lamb recovers.  The ewe with lumpy udder sounds like mine - lumps mainly around the teats and very sore.  Not mastitis (see previous posts on this) but she had the same problem last year by what my son can remember.  However, that said she is a good mother and always produces good lambs,usually twins.  I think all things have to be considered before culling a ewe who has other attributes.  Good luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS