Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: strange behaviour  (Read 2281 times)

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
strange behaviour
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:32:44 am »
Hi my chicken is acting strangely any ideas? She has been for a while, in an afternoon, standing still and waving her head from side to side and moving all her upper body in a strange sort of belly dancing move.  Then she started shaking her head, this was only at the end of the day, but it increased, today she came out of the coop and started straight away, she didnt eat or drink and keeps lying down.

HappyHippy

Re: strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:50:17 am »
I'm fairly new to keeping chickens, so might be talking rubbish, but my thoughts are-
1) Is she laying normally ?
Maybe she's eggbound and trying to get the egg out.
2) Is she up to date with worming and mite treatment ?
3) Since it was a nice day yesterday (well, here anyway) maybe she's got too much sun ?
4) Does she seem ok in herself, or does she look stressed ?
If she's not eating or drinking it doesn't sound good - but that may just be a temporary thing, try offering her favourite food and see if she's tempted.
5) Are the other chickens avoiding her or harrassing her ? If they're giving her a hard time, I'd be tempted to move her out (if you can) and just keep her seperate til you see if there's any change.
Hopefully someone else more experienced will be along soon, good luck and let us know how she gets on.
Karen x

henmummy

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:00:24 am »
I agree with Happyhippy and you need to separate her while you work out whats wrong-incase its catching.  Need answers to some of the questions above too.  Have you checked the vent area , might give some clues too.  TLC needed whilst you investigate further.
Is there any mucus or gasping?

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:15:57 pm »
Is it Sour Crop?

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:47:03 pm »
Well in my amatuer opinion its sour crop, the smell when you are close to her is foul and her crop was red hot the feathers have fell out and its rockhard, today after several days of massage and olive oil down her throat  she appears brighter but she still has a not so hard crop.
ill carry on see whats next

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS