Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 days in  (Read 1912 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
4 days in
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:41:12 am »
Well my 3 ex-bats are all putting themselves to bed at night, and this morning I have found 2 eggs in the nest boxes instead lying about the pen, so I guess they are settling in well. And so far today no pecks in them - I haven't had a chance yet to go and find a porcelain egg to put in the boxes but they are working it out for themselves. There is still signs of runnier poo in the run, so I am keeping an eye on them but they all seem happy.

I had 3 eggs the 1st day and 2 every day since. I assume that they dont actually lay every single day - if they did the battery farmer wouldnt have wanted to get rid?

However, the eggs on day 1 were huge and now they are normal shop bought size. So is it normal for egg sizes to vary, or could it be that the Copper Stars have started to lay and I just can't tell which egg is from which hen . . . I was expecting the Coppers to be a darker brown.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: 4 days in
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:20:22 pm »
have no idea what colour the copper stars' eggs will be... but if it helps we have a huge range of colours and sizes of eggs - and all ours are warrens (mostly ex-batts)

glad to hear they've settled in well
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:42:33 pm »
Glad to hear you have happy hens.  I would also expect dark eggs from the Coppers.

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »
Egbert - don't worry about getting a porcelain egg.  My girls are duped by golf balls.   :)  OH has old water balls in plentiful supply so there are 4 in the nest box right now.  My four hens also all lay in the one nest box!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS