Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foreign breeds WHY?  (Read 10228 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Foreign breeds WHY?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 11:46:34 am »
I think as smallholders we are lucky and can pick the sheep that appeal to us for whatever reasons :)

I adore Zwartbles. I've researched all their pros and cons but the overwhelming win for me with them is I like the look of them which is what is going to get me out to them in a howling storm or thick snow. I may have to breed smarter and work harder to get the end results that others achieve easier but I'd rather than do that than have Southdowns as an example = plenty of people love them but for me .. no way. I won't rule out trying Zwartble x Southdown as an experiment but I have only ever found pure Southdowns to annoy me in all aspects.
I like the look of the Primitives but again, are they a breed for me? I've liked the Border Leicesters I've met but could I run a whole load of them year in year out?  If I had to stick to a British breed chances are I'd struggle and that benefits no-one :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 12:10:45 pm »
I think as smallholders we are lucky and can pick the sheep that appeal to us for whatever reasons :)

I adore Zwartbles. I've researched all their pros and cons but the overwhelming win for me with them is I like the look of them which is what is going to get me out to them in a howling storm or thick snow.

+1, and I'm so glad it's not just me who thinks that  ;D.  You forgot to mention temperament though. For me, the biggest win is that I can always pen them reliably with just the shake of a bucket, and that they are never afraid of me or what I'm about to do to them. Sure, I'd rather they were a UK breed, but there are some things you just can't help.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 01:08:33 pm »
I adore Zwartbles. I've researched all their pros and cons but the overwhelming win for me with them is I like the look of them which is what is going to get me out to them in a howling storm or thick snow.
+1, and I'm so glad it's not just me who thinks that  ;D.  You forgot to mention temperament though. For me, the biggest win is that I can always pen them reliably with just the shake of a bucket, and that they are never afraid of me or what I'm about to do to them. Sure, I'd rather they were a UK breed, but there are some things you just can't help.
Aha!  Yours need a shake of the bucket?  Mine just need me to appear in a gateway and say "C'mon".

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »
Aha!  Yours need a shake of the bucket?  Mine just need me to appear in a gateway and say "C'mon".

And mine are even better than that, I shake no bucket or say no C'mon, the dog just brings them all in  :roflanim:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 03:01:14 pm »
I just go EWE lol

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 11:40:05 am »
the commercial market don't require fast or forced growth at all, they don't care how much you spent getting the animal to market or how you did it. If you did it off grass quickly or on concentrates slowly it does not matter to them how much money you are losing!

Actually, to supply Morrisons we have to confirm that the lambs are wholly or predominantly grass fed.  They really don't want and wouldn't knowingly buy lambs from feed lots with ad lib concentrate - at least, not for the Premium British Lamb range, they wouldn't.

When Tesco do their Tesco Finest - Regional Produce scheme, bonuses are payable only when lamb from that region should be in season, so for us it's November through January.  So they are effectively paying us extra to grow them more slowly, as our climate demands.  Unfortunately they don't seem to run the scheme every year, or it would begin to impact market prices.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 11:46:51 am »
So should I start declaring loudly in the market that my Lleyn x Charmoise are grass fed? If so would you expect more to be paid for them? 

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 12:25:15 pm »
That is really interesting Sally. I might be more inclined to buy their produce when (and if) I ever run out of home produced.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 03:52:30 pm »
So should I start declaring loudly in the market that my Lleyn x Charmoise are grass fed? If so would you expect more to be paid for them?

It depends on whether there are buyers there buying for the supermarkets, and which schemes are wanting lambs at that time.

We sell our lambs direct, deadweight, through a collection centre nearby.  The folks that run the collection centre know which supermarket is wanting which sort of lamb, and which producer is producing the right kind of lamb, so marry the two up.  One week our lambs may go to Morrisons and the next Asda; the following month Tesco.  Each has their own payment schedule and scheme, paperwork and bonus system.  The collection centre co-ordinate everything, and one of their fellas will buy from the local marts to top up any wagonloads that are short.  However, for the Morrisons British Premium Lamb, they would have to buy store lambs and put them on good grass for 60 days before they would be eligible.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS