Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: disposing of used shavings used a s bedding  (Read 12799 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: disposing of used shavings used a s bedding
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:42 am »
I'm going to try planting squashes and pumpkins in my muck heap this year (straw/hay/dung) as I read somewhere that pumpkins adore it!  apparently you just dig a hole and pop in the plant when it's a reasonable size with just the compost from it's pot...and some months later you have a fab veggie!!!

our horses only stay in during the winter months,, so this is ideal for us.  might be useful?

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 05:50:16 pm »
Oh I might give that a try egglady, oh just thought that won't work as the  :sheep: will have access to them doh  :dunce:

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 06:05:53 pm »
we use miscanthus, rots down quickly!! Shavings were a nightmare , we still have the manure heaps from when we use shavings from 4 yrs ago!!
juliag

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 07:55:47 pm »
The Vegatable Marrow Green Bush likes to grow on the muck hill used to do some every year and Gardeners Delight Tomato They need a stick to hold them up though egglady ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 09:25:42 pm »
The Vegatable Marrow Green Bush likes to grow on the muck hill used to do some every year and Gardeners Delight Tomato They need a stick to hold them up though egglady ;D :farmer:
oh, never thought to do tomatoes - thanks wizard, think i'll give that a go.  do you think ailsa craig would aslso grow well on the muck heap?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 08:55:29 am »
Hello lass not heard of it being done! I no doubt have jumped to onions and you mean tomatoes thats what becomes of being 3 score and 10 + Cannot see why not.The reason I always go on about Gardeners Delight is they are so universal nice and small .They eat well off the plant when I walk past and pull one,they eat well in a salad,they fry well if you leave them in a dish to go over a little and they bottle well in jars in the pressure cooker and store real good with an excellent flavour.Just a little something of nothing egglady I have never had much success with Beefsteak varieties they are always dry and woody to me. :D ;D yum yum :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 01:01:25 pm »
we are experimenting with using used shavings  for mulching as we can get it easily from horsey friends. its rotting down in the our woods until next spring then we will apply it as mulch to the flower beds and fruit beds.

I think I might try the squashes and courgettes in the heap this year and see what happens. although the heap is in dappled shade and can be attacked by grey squirels it might work.

Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS