Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: disposing of used shavings used a s bedding  (Read 12789 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
disposing of used shavings used a s bedding
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:24:38 pm »
We're new to horses and a bit lost how to dispose of all the spent shavings from the stable. After trying a deep bed we've decided to opt for rubber matting and a thin layer of shavings - but what do people do with the spent shavings? It seems to take a long time to decompose and it mounts up. I've decided to use some of it as mulch on the flower borders. Is there a market for it if I bag it up and advertise it as horticultural mulch? - any comments welcomed

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: disposing of used shavings used a s bedding
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:42:46 pm »
Shavings generally make a poor mulch if they aren't rotted down as they pull the nitrogen out of the soil.

I use Hemcore, which is the core of the hemp plant and a byproduct of paper making, in the same way as you are using shavings, and it rots down in 6-8 weeks into pretty nice compost.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:50:22 pm »
Gardeners tend to not want shavings in the manure for gardens.  Shavings do rot down eventually, but  take ages.  Straw heaps do take up much more room, but are more attractive to people wanting manure for their gardens etc.  Hempcore, like Rosemary said rots down and goes into a good compost as do one or two others - Bliss is one that springs to mind.  When I get a big heap of shavings, I put it under the row of confer trees and leave it to rot down in its own time!!

If you are using rubber matting, you will certainly not need a lot of shavings, so should not have a major problem of a big muck heap.  The best thing to do, is just put a little pile of shavings in one corner.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:30:15 am »

I use shavings and just put a notice on the gate inviting people to fill bags, we save the feed bags for them. and have had no problem

getting rid of it, I just warn them that it is fresh so to keep it for a while or put in the bottom of tubs and beds.
Anne

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:35:56 am »
Thanks for comments - My idea is to use it as a mulch to keep down weeds and conserve moisture on the surface of flower beds and borders. In that situation it is a good thing that it does not decompose too fast. I bought bags of chipped bark in the past and spread it on the soil between heather plants It lasted 3-4 years! I thought the wood shavings from the stable would do the same. Most of the poo is forked out of it daily but it becomes saturated in urine - the urea and ammonia in it would nitrify in contact with the soil and provide the plants with a readily available source of nitrates! that's the theory anyway.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:33:43 pm »
Can you imagine what they do with the shavings from a million ducks? ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 01:18:40 pm »
Probably Incinerate it  ???

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »
Sorry Cameron Let me explain The growers are brought in to the huts and fed ad lib water and balanced rations to Dr Knotts spec; If of course  he is still there I have not been to the office complex for the ages of a crow The feed is milled and mixed off site Back to the shed Shavings are mixed with straw and spread each side the feed stages and are bedded every day for 49 days the ducks are now as large as the company wants and they are collected and transported to the factory where they are stunned and defeather ed  ready for further processing.Meanwhile at the hut a cleaning gang arrives and takes out all the shavings and straw using Bobcat skid steer forks and trailers which take the waste to giant muck hills  Where it is allowed to decompose A different gang arrives and pressure washes and disinfects the whole shed The shed is re bedded and the drinkers refitted having been pressure washed and rehung Food is filled to the food conveyor and the next lot of ducks brought up from the nursery.The time passes and big muck spreaders take the oldest part of the muck hill to spread it on the fields ready to be ploughed in.What I meant Cameron can you imagine the heap they are like aircraft hangers enormous on the Rocket Site behind High Field Farm You can see them if you drive down Kelsey Moor Road
I haven't been lately so they may be tipping elsewhere if the Rocket Site is full At one time they were pushing the waste up into great heaps with a Bull dozer
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:22:26 am »
We have a mahoosive manure heap, that s a mixture of shavings, straw, spilt hay ;)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 07:10:35 pm »
shavings and straw using Bobcat skid steer forks and trailers which take the waste to giant muck hills
   :o  :o

i feel sorry for anyone down wind, yeauch   :notwell:

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 09:11:38 am »
Our horses all live out, so we dont use any bedding for them. But the lamb pens have hemp under the straw and that is put in the compost bins and rots down really quickly. The straw I actually burn with one of those garden incinerators which i then but the ash onto the compost. I am only talking about small quantities, but that works for me. 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 11:13:40 am »
I use straw so my local farmer takes away my muck heap once a year, he would not take it if I used shavings  :)

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:45 pm »
Our ponies are out 24/7 so don't have any bedding in our Everest muck heap just just poo and waste hay, I keep advertising it on Freecycle and get a few takers not as many as say they want the muck though 

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 04:03:30 pm »
A nice pile of that left in a corner of the garden should be really good stuff next year :D Daisy

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:11:59 pm »

It is wonderful stuff Wizzard we just have far too much to use  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS