Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI and other breeding interventions in sheep - views  (Read 13175 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: AI and other breeding interventions in sheep - views
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 06:43:14 pm »
Sheep are given a sedative, put on a trolley, the end of the trolley is proped up so the head is lower than the tail end, two holes are made in the abdominal wall approx the size of a nail, air/C02 is pumped in through one, an endoscope/syringe is introduced through the other, semen is injected, the ewe has a shot of penecillin and is tipped off the trolley to run away

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 06:45:35 pm »
Thus:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 07:02:58 pm »
Thanks, Me.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 07:15:10 am »
Sheep are given a sedative, put on a trolley, the end of the trolley is proped up so the head is lower than the tail end, two holes are made in the abdominal wall approx the size of a nail, air/C02 is pumped in through one, an endoscope/syringe is introduced through the other, semen is injected, the ewe has a shot of penecillin and is tipped off the trolley to run away

^^^ laproscopic AI

Cervical AI (which is the mode of choice in Scandinavia) is less invasive and very much along the lines of cattle AI
Scandinavians report 70% conception using frozen semen without the use of hormones/sponges etc
The key here it seems is breed type (some breeds have better results than others), semen concentration (hi-conc needed) and heat detection (teaser use)

I am very interested in using cervical AI so that I can;
1) Import semen of hi-genetic merit
2) Reduce biosecurity measures when sharing rams (link rams in breeding programs)
3) Use genetics that I may not have been able to afford if I had to buy the ram!

Cervical AI is less invasive, cheaper and has incredible potential for the sheep industry

I think that probably the best thing about AI is the ability to store genetics for future use , an excellent way of safeguarding rare/different breeds

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 08:08:31 am »
I can see AI being very beneficial for bringing in new bloodlines with closed flocks.  I know of a place that does this with goats, 4000 milkers and each year 30 females are chosen as suitable, they get sponged at the end of December then AI'd.  Some of the semen they use is from males they had in the past and were exceptional sires, others are bringing blood from different breeds into the herd.

I would think the proceedure is too expensive to be used across the board in commercial flocks so reduced fertility should not be an issue.

I would use it on my sheep to bring in a desired bloodline where buying a ram would either be prohibitively expensive or a biosecurity risk

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 08:40:35 am »

I would use it on my sheep to bring in a desired bloodline where buying a ram would either be prohibitively expensive or a biosecurity risk

It is very handy for this purpose, we have imported high ebv Charmoise semen from France the last two years (see photo) and if we had imported live (which we were/are considering) we could have run into trouble with Bluetongue and other stowaways 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:01 am »
We donated semen from one of our finest rams to the RBST semen bank some years ago.  The scrapie monitoring programme was running at the time and, again, we thought that eliminating a whole tranche of genetics for the sake of just one trait could have unforeseen consequences in the future. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 10:21:21 am »
I would think the proceedure is too expensive to be used across the board in commercial flocks so reduced fertility should not be an issue.

Au contraire, as I've said upthread, a friend has worked on a large commercial operation where this is used extensively on Scottish Blackface sheep, amongst others.

It's widely used in Texel breeding.

And if AI and other interventionist practises were not being used in commercial flocks, commercial breed tups would not be fetching £160,000 ;)

ETA I'm sounding disapproving; I'm not.  I want to understand more, hence this thread.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:25:51 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:27 am »
Statement - please click 'Like' if you agree

I'd much rather see AI used in preference to importing stock from other countries.

Note, this statement may or may not be the view of the author. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:48 am »
Statement - please click 'Like' if you agree

I'd much rather see AI and embryo transfer used in preference to importing stock from other countries.

Note, this statement may or may not be the view of the author. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 10:40:07 am »
We donated semen from one of our finest rams to the RBST semen bank some years ago.  The scrapie monitoring programme was running at the time and, again, we thought that eliminating a whole tranche of genetics for the sake of just one trait could have unforeseen consequences in the future.

We too put forward tups for the RBST scheme.  As the idea was to preserve diversity, we didn't particularly choose 'the best' (whatever that is), just 4 tups in general use.
The process of semen collection from sheep involves the use of a teaser ewe.  With the primitives at least this can be a particular problem it seems.  For our lads, this poor long suffering white-wooled lady just didn't appeal  :roflanim:.  They weren't taken for collection until January, by which time they were going 'off the boil' anyway.  Primitive breeds (I don't know about others) are often not happy with performing in public, so in the end only two of our four produced enough of the good stuff to keep.
In addition, collection of sheep semen is an expensive business, with several weeks board and lodging, plus the cost of the manpower required to care for them and do the collection, plus of course storage of the straws.

My feelings about AI?  Well, I grew up on a farm where all the hen turkeys were fertilised this way, and there were hundreds of them, so I'm well used to the process.  My elder son worked for a while at Roslin, with Dolly and the cloning team.  Animals used in that process have legally to be euthanased after 3 invasive procedures - does the same apply to ewes used for invasive AI?
Overall I suppose, I'm sad for the animals used for invasive AI, but I can see the need in breeding programmes, less so in small rare breeds flocks.  There are rams for that.  I know though that not everyone has space for several rams to ensure the degree of diversity ideal for rare breeds programmes, whereas being able to source semen from several tups can be used to widen the genetic pool, just as using one super-tup on a huge flock will halve the diversity of that flock in one go.
I find it's horses for courses - it's acceptable for one sector of sheep rearing, but for most sheep in Britain I find it unnecessary, expensive and counterproductive.

Do I approve?  It's getting quite uncomfortable sitting on this fence  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 12:32:41 pm »
My pal said the ewes could only be used twice for what I now know is called laproscopic AI, and could not be used for breeding naturally thereafter, either.  He didn't say anything about euthanasia, so I assume they went to a cull market.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2015, 01:05:42 pm »
and could not be used for breeding naturally thereafter, either. 

Thankfully your pal didn't tell my sheep, who are quite happy to breed naturally post AI

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2015, 04:14:13 pm »
and could not be used for breeding naturally thereafter, either. 

Thankfully your pal didn't tell my sheep, who are quite happy to breed naturally post AI

So do my goats! Why should they not breed naturally after lap AI?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2015, 04:27:15 pm »

Au contraire, as I've said upthread, a friend has worked on a large commercial operation where this is used extensively on Scottish Blackface sheep, amongst others.

It's widely used in Texel breeding.

And if AI and other interventionist practises were not being used in commercial flocks, commercial breed tups would not be fetching £160,000 ;)

ETA I'm sounding disapproving; I'm not.  I want to understand more, hence this thread.

Commercial breed tups are not fetching 160,000.  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS