Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time mum - Update 25th Oct.  (Read 5089 times)

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
First time mum - Update 25th Oct.
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:26:15 am »
On Sunday morning at 0400hrs our gilt became a first time mum. 9 healthy piglets born completely without any problems and keen to find the milk bar! Excellent attentive mother, I couldn't be happier! :thumbsup: .

Sister Gilt farrowed at 0200 Sunday morning 25 Oct, also first time mum, 12 healthy piglets also born without any problems and quite lively! Another excellent attentive mother, I'm absolutely delighted to say the least! :) .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:30:37 pm by Cosmore »

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: First time mum
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:35:54 am »
Great news Cosmore! Are they GOS x Berkshire?

Good luck with them all! What are your plans with them?

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 10:36:41 am »
Oh lovely. That's a great result for a gilt. Enjoy them!
Martha

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:49:18 am »
Great news Cosmore! Are they GOS x Berkshire?

Good luck with them all! What are your plans with them?

Hi Sophie, mum (and her sister the other gilt) are Tamworth x British Saddleback, the boar we put them to is a Large Black (only because we didn't want to do AI first time and the boar was conveniently near). The sister gilt is due 24/25 Oct - next weekend. We will keep 4 to raise on for meat and sell the rest as weaners to bring on for meat or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:03:19 am by Cosmore »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 11:14:20 am »
They look very cute. Well done mum  :pig:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:33:38 pm »
Lovely pics- congrats!

nikks14

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 11:42:31 am »
congratulations they look wonderful  :pig:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 12:23:41 pm »
Congrats that's brilliant news!  :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: First time mum - Update 25th Oct.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:24:51 am »
Great having piglets isn't it. I guess from your precise timings that you stayed up all night watching your gilts farrow. Who else does this? We just let ours get on with it they don't need any interference from us. I actually think that fussing about a sow while she's giving birth could stress her more than just leaving her alone. What does anyone think?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 10:37:16 am »
Mine used to Farrow early  hrs of the morning or late afternoon, I would always stay with them when they were farrowing In case of any problems
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 10:47:27 am »
Great having piglets isn't it. I guess from your precise timings that you stayed up all night watching your gilts farrow. Who else does this? We just let ours get on with it they don't need any interference from us. I actually think that fussing about a sow while she's giving birth could stress her more than just leaving her alone. What does anyone think?

I usually check every 90-120 minutes when I'm expecting a sow/gilt to farrow, and once I've seen that the first one has made an appearance I stay with them for the rest of the farrowing. I stay until mum has been up, drunk, been to the toilet and laid back down.

When I say 'stay' this can be anything from waiting outside their 'delivery suite' (90% of the time) to kneeling with mum, to swinging weaners or being arm deep and fishing for pigs!

Everyone will do it differently, I keep 80+ sows and have experienced massive losses from crushing and cannibalism before, and have also lost sows, so it's worth it for me to stay with them.

Naturally the ideal is for each to farrow with no assistance/interference, but I believe that I don't add additional stress to their experience. I think each situation needs a different approach depending on both pig and keeper.

:pig:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 05:46:01 pm »
Our sows farrow in a sty they've been in for at least three weeks beforehand and I put the infrared lamp on at night several days before the litter is due, so they're used to it and it allows me to see what's happening from outside (the sties have wide doorways with cear warehouse strips.  I like to be around if possible and we've never lost any piglets due to crushing or cannibalism but did have an interesting farrowing when a sow farrowed in the middle of the night when there was a bitter North wind blowing - she had a big litter and ended up with four of us in the sty with her - one fixing up another infra red lamp, two drying off piglets and me with a piglet that had managed to wander outside before we got there and got chilled - I wrapped it in a towel and stuffed it inside my jacket for half-an-hour and it was fine.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 08:02:01 pm »
I would always be close by with a good book, leaving well alone but ready if all was not well.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 11:12:18 am »
Well, with all the livestock I've kept, I've never left anything to chance, especially with 'first timers'. I was fortunate many years ago to have a farm vet as a friend, he taught me how to deal with animal birthing problems, I am forever grateful to him! I note the change in behaviour patterns approaching the event and make sure all is prepared, you can tell when things are pretty imminent. Having had to deal with malpresentations in goats, malpresentations, retentions and stillbirths in sheep, I'm acutely aware that sadly things can go wrong, I would never forgive myself if I lost a mother through non attendance. I keep quietly in sight of the animal and observe how things progress, only intervening if and when really necessary. Most times things go quite naturally without any interference from me - but I'm there just in case. But also for me, when it all goes naturally and without problems, I have never tired of the wonder and joy of watching the newborn arrive and take their first feed with the mother 'talking' to them.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 03:16:27 pm »
1st lot now 2 weeks and 1 day old :) .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS