Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wanting to buy pigs.  (Read 4801 times)

marsha0012000

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Meopham, kent
wanting to buy pigs.
« on: June 03, 2008, 08:53:41 pm »
Hello We are looking to buy some pigs has anyone got any for sale in the kent area? We arn't sure what breed we want as it's our first time as a pig owner. Has anyone got any suggestions on which breed we should get? we want them for meat.

Sarah

• Joined May 2008
Re: wanting to buy pigs.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:22:18 pm »
Hi,

We had two large blacks and a large black middle white cross, we are getting the meat back on Thurs so not sure how they will taste but they had a lovely nature. The farmer who was helping us to move them said that Old Spots are the worst to move or do anything with but I have never kept them so can't really comment.

One thing I do agree with though is that every one will tell you that their prefered pig is best, so I'd go for large blacks!

marsha0012000

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Meopham, kent
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:24:14 pm »
Thankyou Sara there are just so many breeds i looked at the Kune Kunes but they don't look very big and they are too pretty to eat, we sis think about old spots as they seem to just get on with it (so i have heard not too sure tho) how many piglets do large blacks have and are they easy to look after?

nellie

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Mont St Michel France
    • Vacation Normandy
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:28:05 am »
hi 

All of the traditional breeds have their plus points

we have tried a variety but still think the saddleback cant be beaten for meat quality

We currently have GOS - the silliest pigs-  after 5 months they are still getting stung by the electric fencing

perhaps its because they cant see where they are going-  perhaps they need hair clips to keep their ears away from their eyes :)

a  potential   business - in piggy accessories!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:17:28 pm »
Tamworths.

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:10:42 pm »
Couldn't fault the berkshires we had. Saw Saddlebacks close up and they were gentle as in " gentle giants"! Currently have Middle White crosses, Oxford Sandy & Blacks and Pietrain x Saddleback. Not too keen on the latter. They seem slightly aggressive. Must say I love the Middles and the Berkshires best from my very limited experience. Good luck (and when the time comes get as much ham as you can ;D).....just had some and yum yum yum ;D ;D
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

wildwoods

• Joined Feb 2008
  • West Berkshire
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:00:26 am »
We've had both Berkshires and Saddlebacks and I have to say I'm a Saddleback fan now - both are good natured, but the Saddlebacks win for me on personality and the end product - tasty pork!

I have some weaners available at the moment - we're in West Berkshire, so don't know if that's too far for you. If not, I'd be happy for you to come and visit, see the breed and ask as many questions as you'd like about keeping pigs.

Shirley

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:34:52 pm »
It really is a question of personal preference. We have Saddlebacks so we like them, but I suspect the difference between the breeds is not as big as some would have you believe. If you are raising them for the freezer, why not consider cross-bred pigs? A rare breed crossed with a commercial breed (Duroc for instance) can produce even better results. Then, once the bug has bitten and you move into breeding your own stock, you can settle on which breed you like!

Good luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS