Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Identification  (Read 3529 times)

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
Identification
« on: June 09, 2008, 03:42:17 pm »
Hi all,

very much enjoying the experience of raising our first two pigs for pork (2 welsh boars) and planning ahead for the big day later in the year I would appreciate comments on identification. We'll probably go down the ear tag route although our pigs already have tatoos on each ear from their origional holding - does this matter/is this normal?

Also do i tag them just before i take them to the abattoir or should i think about tagging them now?

Thanks

Sarah

• Joined May 2008
Re: Identification
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:50:26 pm »
Hi,

We sent our first two off last week, we tagged them in the afternoon and took them over in the evening as we were told they might tear them rubbing against trees.

We used metal Y tags (I believe they are the only ones suitable for slaughter) and borrowed a pair of tagging pliers from a neighbour.

I think the best advice I was given is practice on a piece of card first, it really helped me to realise how far the plier handles went together 'cos I was expecting them to close fully and they didn't.

It was much easier that I was expecting and only a very little blood on one of the three.

Good Luck

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:48:20 pm »
Thanks Sarah,

you've answered my question - i've read all the Pig Keepers guidance from DEFRA but it's never clear if they need to be permanently tagged or just when you take them to slaughter. Fortunately i've had a fair bit of tagging practice on sheep so should be OK if i can get them first go!

Hope you got as much pleasure out of raising yours as we are ours - you'll soon be ready for your next two ;D

Thanks again

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 02:29:25 pm »
It sounds a lot different to here, where only the sows have to be tagged.  I have to slap mark before they arrive at the abatoir although the very nice man there will do it for me if I have wimped out.  I hate slapping the pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS