Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blind Ewe  (Read 3283 times)

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
Blind Ewe
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »
Hi folks, I have a ewe with lamb at foot who has severely restricted sight.  She was very reluctant to leave the lambing shed where she had been for several weeks before lambing being treated for pink eye. Her buddy recovered her eyesight and has moved on but it looks like this is as good as her eyes are going to get.  My question is what do I do with her?  Although she will be culled after weaning  - in the meantime should I force her out into the field or leave her to live in the shed where she feels safe?
 ???
Carol

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Blind Ewe
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:42:28 pm »
Re treat with opticlox, may improve a bit more but if she is blind she actually will cope ok...I used to have a totally blind ewe and she was fine....just had to make sure she was in centre of flock or it was a right pain to get hold of her as she would run into fences and gates etc when collecting them up!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
Re: Blind Ewe
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:30:56 pm »
Thanks for that, yes she has had long acting antibiotic.  I eventually left the gate open and she had several false starts but has now gone out into the field with the other mothers.  By the way she was butting the other lambs and jumping over the ditch I think she can see a bit - maybe just got too comfortable in the shed....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS