Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bushes ideas help please  (Read 3267 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
bushes ideas help please
« on: October 16, 2015, 03:55:14 pm »
I would like to transform one of my smallest gardens into a really nice flowery and herby display for most of the year. I can put all year bulbs in for ground cover, but I need hardy flowery and scented bushes which would withstand certain amounts of wind during the winter months. I am fresh out of ideas, could anyone help?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: bushes ideas help please
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 04:45:00 pm »
Not all of these are scented or flowering during autumn/Winter but they do have colour or shape.
-Hebe's
-Corkscrew Hazel
-Cornus
-Daphne
-Hollies (variegated types)
-Viburnum
-Skimmia
-Hellebore
-Cyclamen

Don't forget winter flowering heathers.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:37:31 pm »
Thanks I'll look into it
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:52:07 pm »
Sounds just like my garden! The shrubs that do really well here include:

Rose Harlow Carr pink very fragrant and tough
Viburnam x bodnantense Dawn, winter\autumn scent but gets quite big
Rosemary and oregano good flowers for bees
Hydrangeas - there are lots to choose from and Wims Red is scented
Hardy fushias no scent but great for bee and you can just chop it back
Phlox paniculata eg blue paradise scented perennial big blousy
Camelias also do well to give evergreen backdrop

Hope that helps!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:30 pm »
Thanks for that. There is one plant on the list I couldn't use though, due to it being toxic to animals, am not sure whether anyone will believe me but the hydrangea is actually poisoness to animals. Didn't know meself until a few weeks ago, when I read about it. I will try all the other bushes though, as they sound really nice.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 10:14:56 pm »
If your stock can get in the garden then take viburnums off the list as they are poisonous.  Many plants are listed as poisonous eg daffodils but to varying degrees.  I find this list helpful http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison to help judge the big problem plants.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS